Your Christmas Wish List 2008

jdcnow

Richmond, VA:

WTVR/6 (CBS): A new owner, a new set, a new graphics package. Go HD. Stop being tabloid...

WRIC/8 (ABC): Go HD.

WWBT/12 (NBC): Nothing new.

WRLH/35 (FOX): Nothing new.

WUPV/65 (CW): I know the WTVR-produced CW News at Ten was dropped in October after 20-something months on the air, but I hope the new 6:30pm newscast (produced by WWBT; it'll debut in January) gets good ratings.

My Christmas Wish List:

New York (Only four):

WCBS-TV: Put Maurice and Kate at Noon, it makes more sense. But keep Don and Dana at 6PM, If necessary, re-add a 4PM Newscast with Dana and Don as anchors (so that they get more airtime that way).

WNBC: Keep Chuck Scarborough and Sue Simmons around despite the rumor mill going around regarding their possible departures.

WABC-TV: Keep up the outstanding work and you'll still be #1 and kickin' butt in the ratings for many years to come.

WWOR: Broadcast the News in HD

Chicago (only two on the list):

WBBM-TV: Stop screwing things up, Get a better News Director and General Manager with 110% Experience, and you just might be able to rebound in the ratings.

WLS-TV: Keep your newscasts as respectable and loyle as they are.

The Networks:

NBC: Last Place

The CW: Dead and Buried.

MyNetworkTV: Low Ratings and All, You Still got some life in ya'.

ABC: A Strong Contender

CBS: Still America's Most Watched Network.

FOX: Still Slumping.

WWL - Now that you got the new graphics, it's time to get the new news set and go HD.

Purple and the shades of blue don't compliment each other.

WDSU - Dump Sean Caldwell as the voiceover. He doesn't compliment the station at all.

WVUE - Brighten the lighting on the set just a little.

WGNO - Time to dump some people and bring in new folks. Yall have been dead last since yall started doing news.

WWL - Now that you got the new graphics, it's time to get the new news set and go HD.

Purple and the shades of blue don't compliment each other.

WWL won't finally go HD until their new studios are complete (what's the construction status on that?).

My Christmas Wish List for 2009.

BBC News: Separate "Breakfast" completely, with the programme only on BBC1. Simulcast "The World Today" from BBC World News until 8am UK. Also simulcast the whole of World News America on BBC News Channel

ITV News: Now the studio is virtual, I suggest a set change is in order. They've had the "Theatre of News" look for almost 5 years, and since the whole studio is now virtual, rather than just a virtual backdrop, I would like to see new sets for each of the main bulletins, with the Weekend News being the default look.

Channel 4 News/More 4 News: The basic Channel 4 News studio has stayed relatively unchanged except for a lick of paint, since 2001. Also, Jon Snow has been the main anchor since 1990. No-one in UK television has been a main anchor in the same slot for so long. It's almost time he retired, or at least had his role redefined to be more like NBC's Tom Brokaw. There are plenty of anchors at Channel 4 News, such as Alex Thomson and Krishnan Guru Murthy who are ready to take the main anchor mantle there. Also a redesign of the set is in order, as it seems to be looking old now. A morning bulletin seems to be the only thing missing from Channel 4 News.

Five News: Five News has undergone lots of changes in recent times and most are not for the better. A change in editorial style has not really helped it gain much of an audience. The Sky News era of Five News cannot really be regarded as a success. Five need to change their attack two ways. One is editorially. The most successful era was the initial 1997 era of "Real people, Real stories, Real news" of more human interest stories, and news that was of direct interest to the viewer. A return to that editorial style will be of big benefit to Five News. The other area that Five need to change is their timing of the bulletins. They've changed their bulletin timings so much over the years that they don't have a defined time for their news. Perhaps they need to borrow a page out of the Australian playbook, and schedule their news at what seems to us to be unconventional times, such as 10.30 am and 4.30 pm. They also need a late bulletin, sometime around 11pm.

Sky News: Sky News has this huge studio with 8 presentation points, yet they use so few. They could use one of these presentation points, the balcony overlooking the studio, to host short newsbreaks of 30 seconds or 1 minute in length for Sky 1. Sky 1 used to have newsbreaks back in the 1990s, and could use them again as a way to help rebuild some lost credibility.

The main Sky News channel needs to reinvigorate itself into what it was back in its best days around 1998-2001. Becoming a UK version of Fox News isn't going to help matters, but it is slowly heading that way.

RTE News: RTE needs to launch it's breakfast time programme, and it is believed it will do so in '09. RTE needs to change their studio, as it quite honestly looks awful currently. It seems to be too small these days to do the job. Studio 3 just isn't up to the task. A new studio and better designed set will help no end.

My wish list for Houston:

KPRC - Get a new logo; hire ex-KHCW anchor Sherry Williams to pair with Bill Balleza, move Dominique Sachse back to the mornings; replace Wendy Corona with Rachel McNeil (Corona would move to weekends); replace Entertainment Tonight with Access Hollywood (currently airing on KRIV)

KHOU - Lose Wheel of Fortune and replace with Entertainment Tonight (should The Doctors TV show be a success)

KTRK - Get Wheel of Fortune and Jeopardy from KHOU (if the current version of Millionaire gets canceled

KRIV - Start a 10pm newscast (can air on KRIV or KTXH)

KIAH - Get new music (615's In-Sink) and graphics to match with sister stations KWGN and KTXL (both also use In-Sink)

KNWS – (formerly the all-news station) Belo should buy or enter into a LMA with this station and turn it into a better independent station (a la KCAL, KTXA). Newscasts could be from 7pm to 8pm like KTXA or have something like "11 News at Four" and "11 News at Nine" on TV-51.

My wish list for some other stations outside of Houston:

KUSI – Replace Gari’s the One and Only with 360’s Viral.

KCWX – Start a 9pm newscast produced by KENS.

For Knoxville...

WATE - Get a new logo and please change the music because "This Is Your News" by Gari Media Group does not match the graphics. Also, get new graphics from Hothaus or Giant Octopus so that we can see how WATE is looking.

WBIR - The graphics are nice but please change that awful Gannett news music back to "Heartland" or something else by 615 Music. WBIR needs music from 615 Music very bad again.

WVLT - Please get a new logo. Oh yes and please change the music a little. In fact, get In-Sink V.4 and new graphics to match.

WTNZ - Just cancel the news already. Even "10 News at 10:00 on CW20" is quite better because it's a short newscast.

and...

WBXX - Don't change a thing except keep up the good work on the WBIR-produced newscast.

My wish list for Houston:

KPRC - Get a new logo; hire ex-KHCW anchor Sherry Williams to pair with Bill Balleza, move Dominique Sachse back to the mornings; replace Wendy Corona with Rachel McNeil (Corona would move to weekends); replace Entertainment Tonight with Access Hollywood (currently airing on KRIV)

KHOU - Lose Wheel of Fortune and replace with Entertainment Tonight (should The Doctors TV show be a success)

KTRK - Get Wheel of Fortune and Jeopardy from KHOU (if the current version of Millionaire gets canceled

KRIV - Start a 10pm newscast (can air on KRIV or KTXH)

KIAH - Get new music (615's In-Sink) and graphics to match with sister stations KWGN and KTXL (both also use In-Sink)

KNWS – (formerly the all-news station) Belo should buy or enter into a LMA with this station and turn it into a better independent station (a la KCAL, KTXA). Newscasts could be from 7pm to 8pm like KTXA or have something like "11 News at Four" and "11 News at Nine" on TV-51.

My wish list for some other stations outside of Houston:

KUSI – Replace Gari’s the One and Only with 360’s Viral.

KCWX – Start a 9pm newscast produced by KENS.

KPRC its a good idea that you have

KHOU: Don't expect Belo to drop Wheel or Jeopardy. Only way I envision that happening is if a Viacom O&O comes in.

KTRK: Wait and see

KRIV: IF a 10 o'clock news comes in, expect it on FOX26, not My20

KIAH: Although I agree for the new music, I rather them get graphics in like PIX11, or KTLA, heck even WGN's graphics, not KWGN or the bastardized O & O Graphics. and KWGN and KTXL doesn't use In-Sink anymore. KTXL uses the FOX Affiliate Package and KWGN uses a cafe like theme.

Archived