WGAL Shocker: News 8 Anchor to Retire After 40-Year Career

susquvalleywgal

Yeah..."Retire."

FYI...I've read Hearst is starting to ask some of their more tenured employees if they'll take a buyout. This is apparently happening across all station properties.

So, this may be just the tip of the iceberg. If it is, I think it says a lot--if the *good* TV companies are starting to putter out in this economy, you have to wonder what's going to happen to the bad ones.

-T

• 3 weeks later...

Update: Dick Hoxworth left today from WGAL. He had a nearly 10 minute goodbye that lasted well into NBC Today's 7AM hour. He, Joe and Susan all choked up and it was definately one of those classic TV news moments. David Gregory of MTP did a video tribute as well. They have video at his tribute section at WGAL.COM and check out the Joe's 'Other' Job video. They have great behind the scene video of WGAL. It shows just how big the building is.

God speed Dick Hoxworth.

-- Matt

FYI...I've read Hearst is starting to ask some of their more tenured employees if they'll take a buyout. This is apparently happening across all station properties.

I hope that doesn't happen to Sally Wiggin at WTAE in Pittsburgh. She has been at the station for almost 30 years and was recently demoted to just the noon anchor position. She's really a class act.

Archived