The "10 @ 10"

Bucc

Our CW station started doing a CBS6 10 @ 10, about a few months ago. And I really like it, their slogan is "get the news, get the weather, get to bed"

I was wondering how many other markets have these shortened newscasts, and what people thought about them.

Our CW station started doing a CBS6 10 @ 10, about a few months ago. And I really like it, their slogan is "get the news, get the weather, get to bed"

I was wondering how many other markets have these shortened newscasts, and what people thought about them.

XETV-6, the new CW affiliate here in San Diego does that for its 11pm newscast. They call 11@11. It is basically the same format, but then they have 6 minutes of sports (6 on 6) and an 8 or 9 minute feature story. I think that it's good format, I don't want to wait 40 something minutes to get the first weather report, or 50 minutes to see the local sports segment. The unfortunate part is that because San Diego 6 is so bad, I don't watch their newscasts much.

WPXI in Pittsburgh has "11 at 11". It is the latest local news and a quick check of weather in the first 11 minutes on the 11pm newscasts. I like it because you don't have to wait 15 or 20 minutes to see a news story or until towards the end of the broadcast to see the weather.

I think he means short 10-minute newscasts. In Albany, WRGB does this on WCWN.

As for the "11 minutes of non-stop news in the first eleven minutes" format, WTKR had "Eleven at 11" from 1992-1995, brought it back in 1999, and dropped it again in 2002.

If we're just talking a quick ten or eleven minute show' date=' doesn't it throw off the rest of the night's program lineup? I'm looking at WBND in South Bend, IN (they have an 11 at 11) and the entire night's program lineup seems to be offset.[/quote']

I think that's what Bucc was referring to-- newscasts using the 10@10 (or 11@11) name that are ACTUALLY 10 or 11 minutes long. It does throw off the lineup for the rest of the evening-- which is why I guess not too many stations have newscasts that short in length.

WCWN's lineup, for example, after their 10@10 newscast is jacked up until 3am. So is WGTU (ABC 29&8), who has a short newscast at 11PM (I don't think it's even 10 minutes long)-- but they're schedule isn't quite as messed up as they start cutting time from programming early on to get back to "normal".

I think that's what Bucc was referring to-- newscasts using the 10@10 (or 11@11) name that are ACTUALLY 10 or 11 minutes long. It does throw off the lineup for the rest of the evening-- which is why I guess not too many stations have newscasts that short in length.

WCWN's lineup, for example, after their 10@10 newscast is jacked up until 3am. So is WGTU (ABC 29&8), who has a short newscast at 11PM (I don't think it's even 10 minutes long)-- but they're schedule isn't quite as messed up as they start cutting time from programming early on to get back to "normal".

Yea, thats why I was wondering how many other stations do it, cuz it does throw off the line up till the AM hours, when it gets back on track, but other than that its not really annoying, I'm just hoping that some day it will be a full 1/2 hour--but I'm not holding my breath seeing as WRGB has owned WCWN for much longer then it took them to start this 10 minute newscast.

WLTZ NBC 38 News in Columbus' date=' Ga does 11 @ 11. I don't remember what they show immediately afterwards, but The Tonight Show comes on at 11:35.[/quote']

A rebroadcast of TMZ airs after 11 @ 11 and in Montgomery, WNCF airs 10 @ 10 then they air I Love Lucy before Nightline.

In the 80s, many ABC and CBS affiliates had 15 minute weekend newscasts at 11pm/10pm due to ABC airing a 15 minute news broadcast on Saturday and Sunday nights. CBS aired the CBS Sunday Night News at 11pm/10pm although most stations carried it at 11:15/10:15 after their own 15 minute newscast. Some stations still chose to do a full 30 minute newscasts airing the network newscast before the went off the air.

When LIN bought WNDY' date=' WISH had a 8minute newscast, now it's 30.[/quote']

I don't remember that. As far as I'm aware it went from WTHR's 30 Minute News right into WISH-TV's 30 Minute Newscast.

Up in Fort Wayne, WISE-TV did a 10 minute newscast for a while (I don't mean the 11@11 thing either.) This was after the mess with Granite buying them and all that.

Archived