Market #41 news ...

susquvalleywgal

Hello everyone.

I hope everyone is having a great holiday season. And best wishes for a great new year to everyone.

Check out this story from The Patriot-News ... http://tinyurl.com/9xueml

They show what do expect from local news in 2009. They even include PBS. LOL.

The jist .... Looks like the most exciting change is coming Jan. 19th when WLYH-TV CW 15 will bring back news. Look for it to be 1 hour, leading to CBS21 News @ 11. They are both owned by the same company, btw.

Could graphic changes come for both???

Also, Dick Hoxworth's last day is Christmas Eve.

-- matt

• 2 weeks later...

WLYH is owned by Nexstar (it's on the Nexstar website). I'm guessing WHP simply produces the news and/or supplies staff for WLYH. I do realize that Clear Channel owned both WHP and WLYH at one time. Just like all of the Mission stations are owned by Nexstar (even though Mission owns them...on paper...Nexstar's website says they have an "LSA" with the Mission stations). Just like WUHF in Rochester is owned by Sinclair, but the news is produced by WROC and WUHF's master control and other staff is supposedly at the WROC building.

More interesting news from the Susquehanna Valley ...

First of all, the replacement for Dick Hoxworth has been announced on News 8. Jere Gish, from KMBC-TV Kansas City is coming back home to Central PA. He will anchor News 8 Today starting Monday with Lori Burkholder. Susan Shapiro is moving to the solo anchor of News 8 @ Noon. What was a great news team with Dick Hoxworth before, will be even better with Jere Gish. Good anchor.

And, ABC27 WHTM will do an ALL-DAY dtv test Monday. From 5AM to 11:35 PM, they plan to broadcast their digital signal. What is the intersting part is I think ABC27's digital signal (also with WHP's) is so low, power wise compared to their analog signal. Any other stations doing all day tests, btw?

-- Matt

Just an FYI on WLYH. They operate out of the same building as WHP on N. 6th St. in Harrisburg, and Newport runs both stations. Clear Channel bought the station assets in 11/95 from then-owner Gateway Communications. All Nexstar owns/controls is the FCC license, as did SJL and Gateway before them.

I worked at WLYH before and after the LMA in 1995, and remember CC taking inventory at the Mt. Gretna facility. PM me if you want any other info. Thanks.

Archived