R.I.P. Brian James

XYZTV

Voiceover legend BRIAN JAMES has suddenly passed away from a heart attack at 4a this morning (3/6), at his home in SCOTTSDALE, AZ.

A very talented man and friend.

He is missed already and will be missed for years to come.

God Bless you and your family.

Wow, that really sad. What a Voice.

This appears to be the same guy who happens to be the voiceover for KYW-TV. Perhaps they should replace him with Brian Lee or perhaps bringing back Bill Ratner would be nice.

By the Way...Since we've been losing more great voiceovers lately, It always makes me wonder if there happens to be a voiceover curse going around. Sorry if this sounds strange, but it's been something I've been thinking about for a while now.

This appears to be the same guy who happens to be the voiceover for KYW-TV.

Also KDKA-AM. I bet 1020's CSD, Kelly Pidgeon, takes over... much as he's done at KDKA-TV and WTOV-TV. (Hint, hint, Stroud, since my info keeps bouncing back to me.)

This appears to be the same guy who happens to be the voiceover for KYW-TV. Perhaps they should replace him with Brian Lee or perhaps bringing back Bill Ratner would be nice.

It's sad to see another great voiceover go..

It'll be interesting to hear what the stations that currently used Brian James for voiceover will be switching to. Personally, KYW should just go back to Ratner. The closest voice out there right now to Brian's is Chris Corley which I have the feeling WNYW is going to switch to. Chris might be the choice of WFOR too. Who knows who KPHO may choose..

He is the current voice of Island 106 here in Panama City...it's a shame to see that he passed. He recently cut a whole bunch of new imaging for them for Spring Break 2009 coverage...

It really shows the mentality of some on this website to talk about his replacement on a thread speaking of his death...

You know what's worse? Stations that keep using dead people for imaging. That's classless. As many of us can attest, Chris Clausen's voice keeps showing up on stations months after his death.

For the same amount of people that agree creepy, people are equally upset when you take it off. That is if you branded correctly and the Voice is a huge part of your identity. Chris is still on some CC tags on his stations, and Brian... well LOTS of stations need to change thir station voice today. :D

And if I were Sprint I would run the hell out of that spot. They paid him quite handsomly for it.

As Ernie Anderson once said, "use it! ...I was already paid for it!"

Some stations are still using Chuck Riley sprinkled in.

I remember hearing Ernie Anderson's voice at the top of every hour on the old WMAQ-AM in Chicago until they signed off in August of 2000. I always thought it was a nice tribute.

On the same note, I also think Chuck Riley can still be heard every hour on WIBC in Indianapolis.

I think it's just a testament to the fact that some voices are irreplaceable.

KYW Radio's top of the hour identification features the voice of Dick Covington, who retired from the station in the mid-80s and died a few years back. I remember that the reason for that is that they believed the top of the hour voice should stay the same year after year. I think the current one is pieced together from various recordings.

So because of this, they run a short ID sting right before the top of the hour that identifies KYW, KYW-HD2, and WYSP-HD2.

What's off-putting about James' death is that he recorded a couple of sweeps promos right before for CBS 3. Just shows you how sudden and tragic this was...

Ratner does the nightside topicals for PVI, so it probably won't be him. In the meantime, Chris Corley is filling in.

Days of Our Lives still uses Macdonald Carey's voice for the open, "Like sands through the hourglass, so are the days of our lives." He died in '94, they took out the closing part out of respect for Carey's family.

He voiced a couple radio stations here... WGH-FM Eagle 97 and WFMZ-FM Classic Hits 104.9. Eagle 97 put an "in memoriam" tidbit on their homepage.

I remember the latter station, but that was before it flipped to "oldies". Sad to learn of this.

Archived