WIBW's old building

Ntropolis

Ok, so, I'm lost. If this is their old building, exactly what obligation do they have to its upkeep?

It's just an observation... I just thought it was interesting how it's been overtaken by ivy and vandalism. I never said they had to maintain it after it was sold.

that place looks a middle school.

According to that blog post, it was built as a schoolhouse in the 1920s.

Thanks so much for posting this. Until cable came to Manhattan in 1967, WIBW was the only station on television.

That building has so many childhood memories for me... I remember being on the Jungle Jim (aka Gerry Wallace) show for my nephew's birthday; later in life, when I owned an insurance agency, I delivered an editorial reply on air at WIB.

All my inspirations to become a broadcaster came from there: Olaf Soward, Hylton Hodges, Dev Nelson, Fred White, Max Faulkenstein, and Jim Hollis.

June 8, 1966, Bill Kurtis: "For God's sake, take cover".

All the famous names that have walked those halls... Fred White, Steve Physioc, Craig Bolerjack, Steve Doocy, Mike Jarrett, Gary Bender, the late Gordon Jump, Teri Elmer, and so many others.

It was funny... I ran into former WIB GM Gerry Holly at Governor Finney's funeral a few years ago... 25 years after I did the editorial reply... he was in the insurance business, and I was in broadcasting.

Sad to see that building in the shape it's in... but it fits right in with its next door neighbor, State Park No. 14, The Park That Dares Not Speak Its Name, aka the former Menninger Foundation campus.

Last I heard, they were looking at possibly turning that property over to the state to add to TPTDNSPIN. If they can restore it, it would make an interesting museum of Kansas broadcast history.

Archived