Wx gfx q: Weather tubes?

MidnightJunkie

What software does this come from? 5day.jpg I remember WJBF used to use this software in the late 90's for their "First Warning Doppler 6 day forecasts" up until the Media Generalization of their station in 2002. I know it was really common among 100+ market stations.

That's an old WSI template. It's not in the current versions of the software (to the best of my knowledge), but those stations with older machines probably still have it knocking about. As they upgrade, the 'weather in a bottle', as we called it at an old station of mine, seems to be dying a welcome death.

That's an old WSI template. It's not in the current versions of the software (to the best of my knowledge), but those stations with older machines probably still have it knocking about. As they upgrade, the 'weather in a bottle', as we called it at an old station of mine, seems to be dying a welcome death.

Well WSLS actually used it for their 3-panel/daypart/planner thing for a period of time last year. And they didn't get WSI until 2003/4-ish. I know I found it hilarious they were using such a dated template, since I knew WXLV used it in the late 90's.

Sadly those made an appearance as high as market 44, Memphis, back in the late 90s. And of course on stations WPTY/WLMT. Fortunately those disappeared back in 2002 when they went to Eyewitness News, and since then they have gotten a pretty good weather system and graphics. (One of the few things WPTY/WLMT is not cheap on nowadays - weather tools)

Just remembered, I actually captured it. Attached picture is from a newscast in July 2006.

And sadly vipir has taken over the country (pardon the pun) by storm. That has got to be the most over the top frilly weather system I have ever seen in my entire weather forcasting experience.

I remember us using the ugly purple background in college for a fake newsroom background during some of our tapings. I was never so glad to trash a background ;D

Archived