Milwaukee To See First HD Newscast

Weeters

As early as 5AM tomorrow morning:

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/entertainment/42562032.html

Channel 4 news in HD by tomorrow? Maybe.

By Tim Cuprisin of the Journal Sentinel

Apr. 6, 2009 8:42 p.m.

I hear that final testing is going on tonight for a soft launch of high-definition local news by Channel 4. That is, it won't be announced with great fanfare as the bugs are worked out.

Nothing's set in stone, but if things work out, Milwaukee's NBC affiliate could be doing local news in HD as early as 5 Tuesday morning.

Don't be shocked if it's delayed a bit. This is a major technological transition. And even if it does happen, don't expect a finished product with final graphics and the like.

[yt]bb3kDr-WQhs[/yt]

HD video above, pseudo-HD pics below

3422425438_c2a169f76e.jpg

Opening title graphic. Seems a little low-res. Could be, though, that my capture card isn't good enough, because they looked fine @ 5:00.

3422430338_47ab5fe6ea.jpg

But this looks awesome. Definitely HD resolution.

3421630201_eed8e1471a.jpg

Nice L3s.

3422441186_ab636c82c0.jpg

Logo bug is a little blurry in HD.

3422444462_26644a7486.jpg

Full-screen graphic looks sweet.

3422448520_99f25aa011.jpg

Looks like the Jeopardy set puked.

3422453932_0bea202b08.jpg

I think only some of the weather department has HD right now.

3421666429_71c13505f8.jpg

This would be why I say the above.

3421671359_8387edf620.jpg

Yes, they do shoot HD in the field.

WTMJ no longer uses Impact' date=' it sounds like they're using High Velocity V2 now. Same set.. overall not bad though.[/quote']

A little disappointed by this move. Impact was a much better fit for the station, and High Velocity is frankly a little generic and bland, IMHO.

While the new graphics aren't bad, I would've been curious to see a re-rendered version of their previous graphics package in HD; I would think that it would've looked stunning.

A little disappointed by this move. Impact was a much better fit for the station, and High Velocity is frankly a little generic and bland, IMHO.

While the new graphics aren't bad, I would've been curious to see a re-rendered version of their previous graphics package in HD; I would think that it would've looked stunning.

Agreed. I think their other graphics were better, and Impact worked well for this station.

I don't like the v/o for some reason, I like having a male & female...idk just what I don't like though

[st]Looks like they actually had the HD versions of the old graphics...[/st]

EDIT: Actually, upon closer inspection, it looks as if this may just be the SD version stretched out.

EDIT EDIT: Then again, these red pillars are from their old package and made it on screen a couple times prior to Tuesday.

94495076_0408_H15M53_CH4-1_TodaysTMJ4NewsLiveat3_00_2.thumb.jpg.6a1213bdf46f5e03b74c7cb4f8b6b59f.jpg

526497230_0408_H16M05_CH4-1_TodaysTMJ4NewsLiveat4_00.thumb.jpg.9467840011e8a2ef55f36fbd658fa29d.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Yea deff Tower V2....great job!!

Question: Why does this channel....today's TMJ4...have (if i've counted correctly) 3 and a 1/2 hours of news??? is it quality?!? Just wondering.

Because news is cheaper to produce than purchasing syndicated programming.

And as far as quality, Live at 3 is pretty much a hour of fluff, and and the other 6 1/2 hours of news is usually full of over hyped "news" and "investigative" pieces.

Impact v5 sounds amazing and fits perfect with these graphics! High Velocity just sounds to generic.

You gotta remember who originally commissioned High Velocity and its update.. CLTV in Chicago. It wasn't meant to be an extravagant package. Just something small and a few basic themes for a local cable news channel.

Why WTMJ decided to go with it, who knows.. They really should have stuck to the Impact series..

Could have been a money thing. Journal Broadcast Group is bleeding, slowly dying, so who knows... maybe this was a cheaper solution than sticking with the Impact series.

I don't really mind High Velocity, it sounds okay. There's definately worse sounding music in the market.

Archived