kent shockneck and mia lee anchoring kcal 9 news @ 8

Kent was on with Mia on Friday afternoon too but only because of a day off for David Gonzales. Mia and Juan Fernandez filled in last night on CBS 2 as well.

CBS 2, Fox 11 and ABC 7 did an excellet job covering the post Lakers game damage. I watched ABC 7 online and their helecopter shots were great. Too bad none of them were on live on tv as by 11 PM most of the damage had already occured.

KTLA and KNBC did especially poor jobs. KTLA was even reporting there was no more damage occuring while at the same time I was watching live coverage on ABC 7's website, KCAL and KTTV of more damage occuring.

KTLA kept running a set-up outside Staples Center online rather than their newscast. One of their reporters said she was too scared to get out fo the van to report. Too scared? Why are you a reporter in Los Angeles? Certainly it does not qualifiy her as a journalist.

KTTV also mentioned the city was going to pay for the entire parade on Wednesday which is false. They're going to pay half. Fox 11 also reported the ESPN Zone asked them to leave during the game.

Kent was on with Mia on Friday afternoon too but only because of a day off for David Gonzales. Mia and Juan Fernandez filled in last night on CBS 2 as well.

CBS 2, Fox 11 and ABC 7 did an excellet job covering the post Lakers game damage. I watched ABC 7 online and their helecopter shots were great. Too bad none of them were on live on tv as by 11 PM most of the damage had already occured.

KTLA and KNBC did especially poor jobs. KTLA was even reporting there was no more damage occuring while at the same time I was watching live coverage on ABC 7's website, KCAL and KTTV of more damage occuring.

KTLA kept running a set-up outside Staples Center online rather than their newscast. One of their reporters said she was too scared to get out fo the van to report. Too scared? Why are you a reporter in Los Angeles? Certainly it does not qualifiy her as a journalist.

KTTV also mentioned the city was going to pay for the entire parade on Wednesday which is false. They're going to pay half. Fox 11 also reported the ESPN Zone asked them to leave during the game.

KABC is always one step ahead of the game.

...Fox 11 also reported the ESPN Zone asked them to leave during the game.

Not quite... they were asked to leave (very politely) shortly after the game ended (maybe 15 minutes?), as the crowd in the restaurant was becoming unmanageable. The ESPN Zone, and the rest of LA Live, shut down entirely shortly thereafter... by request of LAPD I believe. More of a public-safety issue, the folks at ESPN Zone were more than happy to have the media there.

Who was it? And where was their van located? LAPD moved all the media vans that were parked across from LA Live (in front of Staples/Team LA) during the game, to the 2nd-level plaza of the Convention Center (West Hall, near 11th & Cherry) around 7pm or so. Once the game was over, the only vehicle anywhere near the corner of Chick Hearn and Fig was an LAPD cruiser that's no doubt in the body shop today...:D But there weren't any crowd-control issues anywhere near where we were... I had 2/9 behind me (Susie Suh) and 4/52 on the other side. 7 was parked on the roof of the parking structure on the north side of 11th (Chick Hearn). I don't remember seeing 5 in either location, but then again I wasn't looking for them.

And you're right, if she was scared by that she needs to consider a career change. As far as "Laker riots" go, this one was pretty tame (Maybe LAPD has learned something from May Day)... and the Lakers winning it on the road was a big factor as well.

I distinctly remember a few years back, pulling vatos off a KNBC truck in the media lot across from Staples... while Chuck Henry and his photog were on the roof, being serenaded by chants of "F**K Chuck!" Luckily our vans were (and still are) unmarked, so nobody in the crowd knew who I worked for.

Not quite... they were asked to leave (very politely) shortly after the game ended (maybe 15 minutes?), as the crowd in the restaurant was becoming unmanageable. The ESPN Zone, and the rest of LA Live, shut down entirely shortly thereafter... by request of LAPD I believe. More of a public-safety issue, the folks at ESPN Zone were more than happy to have the media there.

Who was it? And where was their van located? LAPD moved all the media vans that were parked across from LA Live (in front of Staples/Team LA) during the game, to the 2nd-level plaza of the Convention Center (West Hall, near 11th & Cherry) around 7pm or so. Once the game was over, the only vehicle anywhere near the corner of Chick Hearn and Fig was an LAPD cruiser that's no doubt in the body shop today...:D But there weren't any crowd-control issues anywhere near where we were... I had 2/9 behind me (Susie Suh) and 4/52 on the other side. 7 was parked on the roof of the parking structure on the north side of 11th (Chick Hearn). I don't remember seeing 5 in either location, but then again I wasn't looking for them.

And you're right, if she was scared by that she needs to consider a career change. As far as "Laker riots" go, this one was pretty tame (Maybe LAPD has learned something from May Day)... and the Lakers winning it on the road was a big factor as well.

I distinctly remember a few years back, pulling vatos off a KNBC truck in the media lot across from Staples... while Chuck Henry and his photog were on the roof, being serenaded by chants of "F**K Chuck!" Luckily our vans were (and still are) unmarked, so nobody in the crowd knew who I worked for.

Carolyn Costello. I don't know anything about her but here is a report from her - not the one where she says she was afraid to get out of the van, though - from Sunday night (side note: Why does KTLA kept referring to this area as South L.A.? It's the South Park area of Downtown Los Angeles). http://www.ktla.com/news/landing/ktla-video-lakers-fans-arrested,0,7124381.worldnowvideo

As for the LAPD, considering one business alone lost about $100,000 in merchandise, they need to be more aggressive, not less so. They were just holding back because they want out of the bogus federal consent decree. Our wimpy police chief needs to return to the east coast where he belongs. Thankfully we have a new tough incoming city attorney. 1 out of 3 in the top positions of L.A.. The other 2, the re-elected mayor included, need to go.

ABC 7 ran a (unscientific) poll on their website yesterday "Do you think law enforcement did enough to control rowdy Lakers fans". 69%, including me, said no. http://abclocal.go.com/kabc/feature?section=news/videos_photos&id=6865092

I do not think that the LAPD was anywhere near aggressive enough that evening. However, I kept thinking back to the last three championships throughout the second half of game five, knowing that something like what actually happened would happen. The LAPD is going to get criticized whether they are aggressive (May Day Melee) or they are not. I guess that evening they figured the safe route was to just let the people riot, even if there was considerable property damage because of it.

Archived