CBS 2 off the air right now?

Spring Rubber

I was flipping channels, and I noticed that as of right now, I can't pick up WBBM-DT OTA or through DirecTV. Only their SD channel is working on DirecTV (and presumably all other cable and satellite providers). Could they be doing maintenance right now on their digital feed or something?

Well, it's not like you're missing anything. For a while now CBS 2 essentially "signs-off" everynight at 12:35am right after Craig Ferguson's over. No more Dr. Phil repeat, no more rebroadcast of the 10 o'clock news. Just 2 1/2 hours of paid programming. Another move tantamount to throwing in the towel. Sure, it was a financial decision. But it screams "loser" to the viewer. Major broadcast station in the nation's 3rd largest market airing a bowflex infomercial at 12:30, so lame.

Well' date=' it's not like you're missing anything. For a while now CBS 2 essentially "signs-off" everynight at 12:35am right after Craig Ferguson's over. No more Dr. Phil repeat, no more rebroadcast of the 10 o'clock news. Just 2 1/2 hours of paid programming. Another move tantamount to throwing in the towel. Sure, it was a financial decision. But it screams "loser" to the viewer. Major broadcast station in the nation's 3rd largest market airing a bowflex infomercial at 12:30, so lame.[/quote']

Soon enough, it will be a station almost fully automated by machine and less than a dozen people actually working at the station. No more actual newscasts.. Just news and weather on the screen while an infomercial plays on the top right corner of the screen during the times of actual newscasts. It's at the point where the viewer is meaningless now. If the station turns a micro-percent profit, that's all that matters..

I know some people want to take back some of the things they said about Ahern at the station now..

Although, the digital switch over could be one of the best things to happen to CBS 2.. People out as far as southern Wisconsin, Belvidere, IL and DeKalb, IL can clearly pick up CBS 2 now.

Anyone catch any of ABC 7's new news promos rubbing it in that they're "Chicago's News Leader" and the only station in town not cutting back on news, newscasts, coverage, and/or people?

Yeah I've noticed those. It seems ABC7 is taking on a more gutsy attitude when it comes to their promotions and image, versus the past 10 years they've been rather subtle and reserved attitude towards their image. I'm pretty sure this has to do with trying to catch the attention of the younger viewers as well.

Archived