New Meteorologist at FOX Chicago

lazynetjunkie

According to foxchicago.com, WFLD has a new Meteorologist for the 9PM newscast. Her name is Amy Freeze (name fitting tonight's weather) and comes from WCAU NBC 10 in Philly.

This leaves me wondering, what happened to Rick DiMiao? His bio is no longer up on foxchicago.com. I really like him and will watch him over Tom Skilling any day. I hate to see him gone from FOX Chicago.

It appears FOX Chicago now has a completely new weather team. Harry Volkman, Michelle Leigh, and now Rick DiMiao are all gone.

Not sure why, but they mentioned it in today's edition of the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel noting the following:

"• The Chicago Sun-Times' Rob Feder reports that Windy City Fox outlet WFLD-TV has hired a forecaster named Amy Freeze. She says that's her family name. Feder notes: She's 32 years old, WFLD is Channel 32, and water freezes at 32 degrees."

Not sure why, but they mentioned it in today's edition of the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel noting the following:

"• The Chicago Sun-Times' Rob Feder reports that Windy City Fox outlet WFLD-TV has hired a forecaster named Amy Freeze. She says that's her family name. Feder notes: She's 32 years old, WFLD is Channel 32, and water freezes at 32 degrees."

Haha! That's a funny irony. I'm glad for Amy. You guys out in the Windy City will enjoy her very much! She's multi-talented, detailed, and very nice. She likes to get involved in different things as well. Enjoy her! She'll be missed here in Philly!

Here's her website...http://www.amyfreeze.com/new-stage-index.html

according to feder's column rick dimaio was fired. here is the text

Amy Freeze, whose hiring as Chicago television's newest meteorologist was announced Monday, is 32 years old, she's joining WFLD-Channel 32, and, as she notes, 32 degrees happens to be the temperature at which water freezes. And yes, Freeze really is her family name.

Freeze, who most recently has been weekend weather anchor at NBC-owned WCAU-TV in Philadelphia, joins the Fox-owned station here Feb. 25 as the first female chief meteorologist in the market.

At Channel 32, she replaces Rick DiMaio, 43, a 12-year veteran, who was fired Thursday after he asked his bosses about a published report that Freeze was joining the station. DiMaio is expected to be paid for the remainder of his contract, which was set to expire in June.

"I had a great job for a long time, and I loved every minute of it," DiMaio said.

While seeking other employment, he plans to continue to teach at the Art Institute of Chicago and at his son's Lutheran school.

Freeze, who was born in Provo, Utah, and grew up in southern Indiana, studied print journalism, foreign affairs and politics before she moved into television. Because of her unusual last name, she said, a consultant urged her to pursue a broadcast weather job.

Her destiny was sealed.

"As a native of Indiana, I have many fond memories of this city from my childhood," she said. "I love the spirit and energy of Chicago, and I'm thrilled to be moving here for my dream job."

A graduate of Brigham Young University, she previously worked at KMGH-TV and KWGN-TV in Denver. She began at KPTV-TV in Portland, Ore.

apparantly they can. they are paying him through the end of his contract, so legally fox is fufulling their end of the contract by compensating him as if he were on the air. and they are simply not renewing him. its up in a few months anyway. I do think that this is a really bad move for fox, with luck ed curran will be fired and rick can go to channel 2

Archived