Who will be the first station in your market to shut down news?

ThatSowislander

I don't see anyone folding soon in Colorado Springs, Denver, or Grand Junction. Long term, I would say the most at risk news departments in Colorado are KWGN Denver, and KXRM Colorado Springs.

I don't think that Denver TV has that much to worry about (with the probable exception of KWGN's news, as silly as it is now)

News on the Deuce...that's just wrong...

Lets see, I'm sandwiched between the Raleigh/Durham/Fayetteville Market and the Greenville/New Bern/Washington market. All of the stations on the G-ville side look like they're on life support, although WITN puts out a lot of news with a station with its news staff size. In the Raleigh market, I would have to bet on WNCN. They do try, but the station just went through a lot of cuts, and they do have to misfortune to be in the same market with two of the best performing news operations for their respective networks (CBS' WRAL and ABC's WTVD)

Lets see, I'm sandwiched between the Raleigh/Durham/Fayetteville Market and the Greenville/New Bern/Washington market. All of the stations on the G-ville side look like they're on life support, although WITN puts out a lot of news with a station with its news staff size. In the Raleigh market, I would have to bet on WNCN. They do try, but the station just went through a lot of cuts, and they do have to misfortune to be in the same market with two of the best performing news operations for their respective networks (CBS' WRAL and ABC's WTVD)

WNCT sure has cut a lot... Annette Newell left and they didn't bother hiring a new co-anchor. They only have a few reporters, and that's not to mention what they've trimmed behind the scenes. They won't shut down news though since they still have a good hold on the market.

It's the markets with over-saturation of news that I would expect operations to be dropped.

WNCT sure has cut a lot... Annette Newell left and they didn't bother hiring a new co-anchor. They only have a few reporters, and that's not to mention what they've trimmed behind the scenes. They won't shut down news though since they still have a good hold on the market.

It's the markets with over-saturation of news that I would expect operations to be dropped.

That's true. I saw that there was no replacement for Newell. WNCT still does a good job with what they've got but their late 90's-early 2000's era was probably my favorite. Good news product, and Media General Graphics that actually worked for them...

In Connecticut... it will be WTNH (ABC) first, followed by WVIT (NBC 30).

WFSB (CBS) and WTIC (FOX) will be the only ones left standing two years from now.

Exactly.

Let's not forget that WVIT (to rebrand itself as NBC Connecticut) will be moving to its new facility just next door and be the first and only CT Station to broadcast news in HD. Moreover, should WTNH shut down all news operations, what they should do is combine with that of its sister station just up the 91. Yes, I'm talking about WWLP (NBC), whose graphics are but 1 1/2 years old.

• 2 weeks later...

Here in the Lansing/Jackson,Michigan market the only one I see is WLAJ the ABC station in Lansing either going full to K-Zoo or getting an assist from WLNS.

but WLAJ is like the old AVIS car rental commercials ..they try harder, even with a hugely tight budget

Archived