New CNN.com

Ntropolis

• 2 weeks later...

On the whole I like it. But there are issues.

My main thing is the three column layout. Looks nice, displays more information, but it's hard to distinguish the features from news and they keep fighting for information.

Like now - there's a breaking news story about shootings at Fort Hood. In the last design it would be a banner at the top of the screen and be the very first story on the page. In this new design the breaking news story (and the rest of the news) is shoehorned in a text box to the left side. The center box is a picture related to a CNN feature - more H1N1 stuff.

When there is breaking news your attention should be drawn to the breaking news story. Looking at it now my attention's drawn to the H1N1 bit; not the breaking news. At least give the breaking news the big rectangle when needed, or move the news to the center column and features to the left.

Other than that it's a decent redesign albeit one that seems more in the feature-like direction CNN has been moving in of late.

When there is breaking news your attention should be drawn to the breaking news story. Looking at it now my attention's drawn to the H1N1 bit; not the breaking news. At least give the breaking news the big rectangle when needed, or move the news to the center column and features to the left.

GIve it time, this just broke within the last hour. I guarantee when there is more than 2 paragraphs in the story and some actual images coming out of Ft. Hood it will be moved to the big box or take up the entire top row.

EDIT: 5 minutes after I posted that they went to "the big look"

GIve it time, this just broke within the last hour. I guarantee when there is more than 2 paragraphs in the story and some actual images coming out of Ft. Hood it will be moved to the big box or take up the entire top row.

EDIT: 5 minutes after I posted that they went to "the big look"

So I went to CNN.com and this was the first time I've heard about this new story. The middle box says "Live coverage of Fort Hood shootings" and on the left "Source: Gunman was U.S. Army major; also psychiatrist". There was no useful details in the headline to explain the story. I didn't really know what was going on until I read the story. They need to have better headlines.

Archived