Enforcer's back!

lazynetjunkie

Not completely back (yet, at least); however, I've noticed on last night's 10PM newscast that they're using it more now. They've gone back to using the New Generation 1 cuts. It was used on 1 bumper and a promo too.. I could have swore a couple weeks ago that they used it as a bump on the 10PM newscast too which I'm now thinking really was the case. I'm glad they're phasing Enforcer back in. It sure fits the newscasts and graphics a hell lot better than the In The Groove package. Although, there's been a couple Enforcer cuts they've continued to use on the morning news since they've switched to the In The Groove package in 2008..

The only cut I really hope they don't return to using was the closing music they used previously.. It doesn't have the umph and energy that their current closing music has. Only if the current closing music had the WBBM signature/logo in it, it would be perfect..

I don't know why they got rid of that theme in the first place. Weren't they using it a lot in the last days of the older studio?

Oh yeah.. Epsecially towards the end at the old studio, they were using the package to a really good extent. Even new sales presentation videos for advertisers and a couple videos the station made to promote their move for a couple special events used quite a bit of Enforcer. Heck, you can put the current graphics together with Enforcer NG1 music they were using previous to the move and it fits ALOT better together than the In The Groove "blah blah blah bhaaaaahh, blaah blaaaaaaah" package.. lol

Even right after the move, some at the station really considered reverting back to Enforcer right away; however, one person in previous management was really stuck on keeping the new music. I was told he said, "We spent all this money to have this new package made, we're going to use it!" Funny thing is they never even used the image song/package that the music package was based off.. What a waste. I've heard new management, especially the new ND, doesn't care for the In The Groove package.. He's about bringing back familiarity to WBBM so I'm sure he's going to bring back Enforcer in some form.

I watched the 10 pm news last night and I didn't hear any Enforcer cuts used....?

They don't use cuts every night.. However, as they need more cuts/music, they're not digging anything new out of the In The Groove package. They're getting new cuts as they need them out of the Enforcer collection. There's been a couple promos I've seen recently using the Enforcer cuts.

• 2 weeks later...

Because I'm lazy to start a new thread and this relates to WBBM, sorry.. but what the hell is up with their set?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7RPcTXf-Bs

(good view at 6:09). Obviously they are still in the streetside (what happened to the plans of renting them out?) but wtf is this mish-mosh of the set. It doesn't look good, or intimate. Lazynetjunkie, any explanation of this?

Because I'm lazy to start a new thread and this relates to WBBM, sorry.. but what the hell is up with their set?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7RPcTXf-Bs

(good view at 6:09). Obviously they are still in the streetside (what happened to the plans of renting them out?) but wtf is this mish-mosh of the set. It doesn't look good, or intimate. Lazynetjunkie, any explanation of this?

I think the plans of renting out the space are on hold. They're having a hard time finding tenants. Nobody wants to rent/lease any space around Chicago right now. Heck, much of the new WBBM building is still for lease. They are utilizing the set pretty good right now so I have a feeling they're going to keep the space for now.

As for the set, it really doesn't look as bad as it looks in that video when they use that setup.. These days, they use the portable stand-up mini-desk as the anchor desk along with a few stools they brought along from one of the previous sets at the old building for their weekday 5PM newscasts and weekend 10PM newscasts. It is set up in the interview/multi-purpose area using the main news area of the set (anchor desk, cameras, cables, whatever studio junk laying around, and all) as the backdrop. When I first saw them do that many months ago, it didn't look right to me; however, I've gotten used to it. You can read the news along on the camera telepromters in the background. LOL..

I heard they started doing this because of the 5PM sunlight. In the sunny evenings, they have to close the window shades because of the bright sun shining in and it's kinda hard to use the window as a backdrop if the shades are closed. Some wonder why not use the main fake monitor backdrop but I heard that management doesn't like that backdrop. I also heard there might have been some issue of constantly moving the main anchor desk around. I'm guessing it has to do with the labor union or something of that sort.. In Chicago, every little thing HAS to be done union. I wouldn't blame WBBM for not wanting to pay a couple union movers to come in everyday to turn that desk around everyday. I really don't know if that's the case or not. Just a rumor I heard a while back.

If you notice, they placed one of the rolling cart plasmas off to the side behind Anne State in a way to block a big black hole in the set where a 103-inch plasma used to be. It makes me wonder why they just didn't sell the other plasma? Or at least now just move it to the other side since it can't be seen at all in any camera shots they do at all these days just to cover the very visible hole.

I say just knock out that whole area of the fake monitor backdrop and giant black hole on the one side and replace it with one huge crystal clear panorama of the Chicago skyline. They can just keep their one remaining 103-inch plasma on the other side. Or they should just cover the fake monitor wall with smoked/frosted glass like on WFLD's set. NOT the clear glass that was originally there when the set was built. Doing that, they can also just rebuild the wall with big black hole and just put a couple smaller plasmas on it. They have plenty of extras around the building they can just take.

I just noticed a change today on the set on the 5PM newscast.. The main anchor desk was turned 45 degrees. The sports area of the set (the area where Rob Johnson stands for the 10PM newscast) is now the backdrop of the main anchor desk. I think that does look a bit better..

It also looks like they aren't using the small portable mini-desk as the anchor desk on the 5PM newscast anymore.. It looks like they moved the larger desk from the sports area to use now for the 5PM newscast. Rob Johnson, Anne State, and Mike Flannery all appeared to sit more comfortably together now.

• 2 months later...

Archived