WBBM Retools AM News Program

bostonmediaguy

"Monsters and Money in the Morning," which replaces "CBS 2 Morning News" debuts February 1.

http://cbs2chicago.com/topstories/cbs.morning.show.2.1346040.html

The morning talk show will feature an ensemble of veteran Chicago broadcasters and a mix of candid discussion of local sports topics, regional business issues and personal money management, as well as news headlines, weather and traffic.

Monsters and Money in the Morning will originate from CBS 2's studios and be hosted by an ensemble of veteran Chicago broadcasters, including sportscasters Mike North and Dan Jiggetts – widely recognized by local fans as "The Monsters," along with Chicago Sun-Times money expert and author Terry Savage and former CNBC business reporter Mike Hegedus. Also contributing to the program will be CBS 2 reporter Susan Carlson, who will provide news headlines and traffic updates, and station meteorologist Mary Kay Kleist.

It's definitely an interesting concept, I'll give them that.

"Monsters and Money in the Morning," which replaces "CBS 2 Morning News" debuts February 1.

http://cbs2chicago.com/topstories/cbs.morning.show.2.1346040.html

It's definitely an interesting concept, I'll give them that.

I knew something like this was coming.. It's about time someone tried something completely different for the morning. I personally was thought they were going to get former B-96's morning dj's Eddie and Jobo for something like "Eddie and Jobo in the Mornings" doing a hip morning news/talk show format they'd discuss issues in the mornings and let people call in, etc..

Another blast from WBBM's past is returning.. Terry Savage was WBBM's money/financial reporter throughout the 1980's.

As for Don Schwenneker and Ed Curran, I got a feeling Don will be back to being weekend meteorologist and Ed Curran will shift over to full-time reporter, technology reporter, fill-in meteorologist..

If they were to focus on doing the regular news, weather, traffic elements with the addition of business news/features and personal finance stuff, they may have had something. What if there is breaking news over-night or within the 5-7 AM window? Who is going to handle that? Mike North? I can't see people turning to or sticking with them if a major story were to occur. That's something they should have taken into account.

I'm a big fan of business news/personal finance which is why I was not happy when WFLD got rid of Dr. J on their morning program. I applaud WBBM for trying to think outside the box and differentiate themselves, but this may be a road they should not have gone down.

What if there is breaking news over-night or within the 5-7 AM window? Who is going to handle that? Mike North? I can't see people turning to or sticking with them if a major story were to occur. That's something they should have taken into account.

I'm sure they took that into account.. One of the reasons why Susan Carlson is remaining as a main part of the show. She'll be the news and traffic part of the show.. Kinda like what she already does when she fills-in for Don or Roseanne.

I don't want to bash this idea yet. I really want to see how this turns out first. Jeff has a proven track record with doing things outside the box so I'm gonna give this new morning show a shot. He got alot of bashing for what he did to the 10PM newscast and yet numbers at 10 are getting better.

I'll admit though that I've watched Mike and Dan on Comcast Sports in the mornings.. I like what they do there so I hope they bring that to the mornings at CBS 2.

You have to factor in that WMAQ's 10 PM newscast has become very bland as of late which has no doubt played a small part into WBBM's rating gains. The more complacent WMAQ becomes, the more that helps WBBM it seems.

This new morning show will put WBBM at a disadvantage when news breaks. They can make whatever changes they want, but they have to remember the "news" component is key and shouldn't be reduce to a couple of quick headlines. How do you build people's trust in your news product if you reduce the amount of time devoted to news?

I like this idea.

Stations should be doing more to differentiate themselves. There are too many markets where the local news is a carbon copy between the three or four stations that produce it. Present it differently or in a different context. And I'm sure they've planned the news element to be flexible and for the broadcast to reflect that when breaking news happens.

I agree that on the surface the show sounds somewhat absurd, but with 7, Fox and WGN already having found their niche, and having a reporting staff in the morning, something 2 hasn't really had in a while, this might actually work better than the post-Randy morning newscast. (Note: I left out 5 because that thing is just painful to watch).

Breaking news won't be 2's morning niche -- unless it involves Kris in Chopper 2 (which isn't used anywhere near as much as it used to be). But again, the segment of the market looking for that already has plenty of options.

My only real concern is keeping Mike North in check, but with few options left, I think he'll be on his best behavior.

• 2 months later...
Not a good idea. People will start to turn out and it might affect the other shows. A very bad idea. KEYE (former CBS O&O) does a non news radio show and its a ratings disaster.

Apparently you're not an insider, you haven't done your reading up on the show, and you haven't read the new thread started on the show..

Archived