Channel 2 preparing new set for new morning show

cbs2worksforyou

From Lewis Lazare's column in the Sun-Times today http://www.suntimes.com/business/lazare/1951799,CST-FIN-lew22.article, WBBM-Channel 2 is getting ready to develop a new roundtable set for its upcoming Monsters & Money in the Morning program. The new set is being designed by George Allison (http://www.gadesigns.net) and being fabricated by Chicago Scenic Studios (http://www.chicagoscenic.com). Lew's article has a picture of the prototype table...I wonder if they will continue to use the fake monitor wall backdrop...and if they will bring back the 103" plasma on the left side. I hope they at least bring back the plasma screen.

I thought the (stage) left plasma was the one taken out, and clearly there is something in that space now...

The spot where the plasma was removed is still empty. All that's in that space now is a black curtain to cover the hole. One of the rolling cart plasmas is usually just put in front of that empty hole to cover it. I just realized that cbs2wfy beat me to the answer.. lol.

Back when they sold the plasma, I thought it would have made more sense remove the other plasma since it is much more hidden and isn't visible in most of the camera angles used.

If they want to put the plasma back, they'll have to purchase a new one. The one they originally had is currently on the Early Show set in New York..

I really wouldn't mind the usage of the monitor backdrop IF all the monitors were real. WFLD's monitor backdrop isn't even the main focus backdrop. It's much larger and ALL the monitors behind that frosted glass are real. To me, fake monitors just scream cheap and cheesy. Out of the 36 "monitors", only 2 or 3 real ones? Come on.. It really only would have only cost them $7,000-$8,000 to make that a fully monitored backdrop which is an extremely minor cost compared to the cost to fully design/construct that set. At the time the set was built, the large 103" plasmas were close to $70,000 each.. They can get the replacement plasma now for under $50,000.

What a shame. The set in it's original form was one of the best sets in the country, and they've completely ruined it. WCBS has had the same set for 7 years, with a mediocre refresh in 2006.

Is there any chance of the original desk being sent to WCBS?

I really wouldn't mind the usage of the monitor backdrop IF all the monitors were real... It really only would have only cost them $7,000-$8,000 to make that a fully monitored backdrop...

A bit off topic, but...

I'm surprised with the number of stations upgrading their control rooms to use the "virtual monitor walls" that use RP screens or a couple plasmas, no one has just duplicated THOSE on the set somewhere...

A bit off topic, but...

I'm surprised with the number of stations upgrading their control rooms to use the "virtual monitor walls" that use RP screens or a couple plasmas, no one has just duplicated THOSE on the set somewhere...

I think the reasoning is that most people wouldn't understand or get it if they saw that on a news set.. Most people still think of TV control rooms as having lots of actual little monitors. If there was just one plasma or RP behind the anchors with a bunch of different things going on on it, the question "WTF?" would just come to most people's mind..

Back in the 2006-08 talent rejoins that WBBM had, you'll notice on the set, they used a couple plasmas in a control room type setting off to the side of the studio. It's funny because at the time in their old building, WBBM was still using old monitors in their actual control room, not plasmas or RP's for the monitors.

WFLD somewhat shows off their control room plasmas their set.. Most of the FOX O&O's just stick the graphic with their logo on the giant RP screen on their sets. However, FOX Chicago usually likes to stick a live shot of something on that giant RP on the set during the newscasts. Most of the time, it's a live shot of the city skyline, nomatter the condition or weather outside. Many times on Good Day Chicago, they'll stick a live shot inside the control room showing the plasmas as they're actually seen in the control room.

Archived