WNBC Airs Incorrect School Closings Info

Geoffrey

Chuck Scarborough just said before the toss to sports that they had to correct a "serious error"... the school closings info that ran on the bottom of the screen earlier in the broadcast (I think for most of the show) was incorrect.

Wow.

I guess he means not just a single school was incorrect but all of the data?

Chuck Scarborough just said before the toss to sports that they had to correct a "serious error"... the school closings info that ran on the bottom of the screen earlier in the broadcast (I think for most of the show) was incorrect.

Wow.

I guess he means not just a single school was incorrect but all of the data?

Wow is right, for them to air incorrect closings information. When you think about the thousands of people that were watching for their school's status. I would say that error is "small market", but that would be insulting small markets!

KDKA did this a few years back (it was shortly after they implemented the WBBM-like graphics). The closings and delays L-bar came on at 5:00 AM and had the closing info from the previous storm, showing a lot of schools delayed or closed. It was fixed rather quickly (15 min or so), but I got all excited thinking we had a delay and went back to bed, soon to be waken a bit later by my Grandma because we actually didn't have one.

Archived