Trouble at the "new" PIX 11 News?

TellyGenic

From today's PAGE SIX of the NY POST:

New hire stuns TV reporter

Posted: 1:26 AM, April 20, 2010

Reporter Emily Frances thought she had seen the last of producer Howard Dorsey 11 years ago at WCBS/Ch. 2 when she accused him of harassment and he left the station after just three months. But now, they're working together again.

Frances has covered entertainment at WPIX/Ch. 11 since 2001. But her old boss at Ch. 2, Bill Carey, took over Ch. 11 News in November and hired Dorsey as morning producer last month. "[Management] never told Frances that he was coming," said an insider. Frances and some other female staffers at the station are said to be outraged.

In a six-page statement notarized June 17, 1999, a copy of which has been obtained by Page Six, Frances claimed: "One night . . . [Dorsey] touched me in a way that made me feel it was too close for comfort. He touched my face, he said to wipe away an eyelash . . . I felt that was inappropriate."

Then one day, she alleged, "He says, 'Sunday May 30 we're having plans to go do something fun.' I was thrown by the whole scenario . . . it wasn't appropriate for him, as my boss, to ask me out."

Frances described several incidents where Dorsey seemed unreasonable and angry, and concluded: "Howard has definitely changed his attitude towards me ever since I turned him down for a date . . . I don't think it's fair . . . I did nothing to encourage him."

Carey, who quit Ch. 2 shortly after Dorsey left the station, declined to comment, as did Ch. 11. But the hiring of Dorsey isn't Carey's only controversial appointment.

Carey also brought on former Philadelphia anchor Larry Mendte, who pleaded guilty in 2008 to hacking into co-anchor Alycia Lane's e-mails.

Another new hire, Vince DeMentri, was fired by Philadelphia's WCAU in 2008 after he claimed he was falsely accused of vandalizing the car of co-worker Lori Delgado.

And Carey gave a job to Mike Sheehan, who exited WNYW/Fox 5 last April after he hit an NYPD horse with his car and pleaded guilty to drunken driving.

http://www.nypost.com/p/pagesix/new_hire_stuns_tv_reporter_oOEVEGN9sP2jNmc4rNh6RK

It would have been considerate if Carey had told Frances that he was going to hire Dorsey. Female employees at WPIX have the right to feel safe at where they work. Hopefully, since Dorsey is a morning producer, he'll be out of there before Emily gets into work. Good luck to the female morning team.

I think Carey's appointments are seriously questionable. I don't see any value in these new hires, except as I said in a different post of Mike Sheehan. At least his past troubles wasn't with fellow co-workers.

Archived