WTF, Fox 29?!

Jess

Over the last few months or so, WTXF has been trying out a new format for its 10pm news. I'm not so sure I'd call it a newscast at this point. It's very interview based, with local experts (usually talk radio guests, the occasional FNC talking head) commenting on the issues of the day. Sometimes the newscast would focus on a specific theme (I know there was one about social security), sometimes the lead story would be a feature piece by one of the reporters.

This has led to some insightful interviews, but most of the time it's led to moments where I watch the station and want to bang my head against something.

Like just now, when they had a cub scout and his dad on the set for an interview about the new video games badge (which is a facepalm in and of itself). Which... you know, I really can't fathom how somebody thought this was a decent idea.

And they kind of don't have people to really run this format well. I'm not a fan of Thomas Gibson to begin with, and he's ill-equipped to deal with this format though in his defense anchoring the news requires a different skill set than hosting MacNeill-Lehrer or even O'Reilly Factor. I hate to say it but if they want to consider this format they should consider putting Mike Jerrick on, because he has experience with this sort of things.

And now as I talk it's time for my favorite segment - Mob Talk, five minutes of two reporters walking in Fairmount Park talking about the local mafia.

I guess it's at least something different....

'FLD is doing the same thing. I forgot who said this but I agree with it, but basically it seems like WFLD is doing a lot of these interviews just for the purpose of creating promos...a lot of the questions and interviews being done really seem forced. I stopped watching FOX a long time ago...they've become rather awful.

[quote=ctmajka;62958]'FLD is doing the same thing. I forgot who said this but I agree with it, but basically it seems like WFLD is doing a lot of these interviews just for the purpose of creating promos...a lot of the questions and interviews being done really seem forced. I stopped watching FOX a long time ago...they've become rather awful.

That was me who said it.. I've mentioned/discussed this format in a few previous threads in the Chicago board:

http://www.packofseven.com/tvnt/showthread.php?t=6483

http://www.packofseven.com/tvnt/showthread.php?t=6507

http://www.packofseven.com/tvnt/showthread.php?t=6444

It's a formula/format that got its base start towards the end of WFLD's previous management and newscast executive producers.. This format was actually used more on Good Day Chicago when they started doing it. However, when ND Fowler was hired in to WFLD, she just LOVED it SOOOOO much that she just had to blow it way out of proportion and took it to the 9PM newscast. It just had to be something done every single night whether it truly made sense or not. They still do it every weeknight now and the interviews are just pointless.. No new or relevant information is gathered. Questions are just asked for the sake of asking questions. It drives me nuts too and makes me just not want to turn on FOX Chicago News at 9 anymore.

Unfortunately, this formula/format has caught the attention of management from at least 3 or 4 other FOX O&O's (from what I heard) so it's something you may see spreading..

[quote=ctmajka;62958]'FLD is doing the same thing. I forgot who said this but I agree with it, but basically it seems like WFLD is doing a lot of these interviews just for the purpose of creating promos...a lot of the questions and interviews being done really seem forced. I stopped watching FOX a long time ago...they've become rather awful.

That was me who said it.. I've mentioned/discussed this format in a few previous threads in the Chicago board:

http://www.packofseven.com/tvnt/showthread.php?t=6483

http://www.packofseven.com/tvnt/showthread.php?t=6507

http://www.packofseven.com/tvnt/showthread.php?t=6444

It's a formula/format that got its base start towards the end of WFLD's previous management and newscast executive producers.. This format was actually used more on Good Day Chicago when they started doing it. However, when ND Fowler was hired in to WFLD, she just LOVED it SOOOOO much that she just had to blow it way out of proportion and took it to the 9PM newscast. It just had to be something done every single night whether it truly made sense or not. They still do it every weeknight now and the interviews are just pointless.. No new or relevant information is gathered. Questions are just asked for the sake of asking questions. It drives me nuts too and makes me just not want to turn on FOX Chicago News at 9 anymore.

Unfortunately, this formula/format has caught the attention of management from at least 3 or 4 other FOX O&O's (from what I heard) so it's something you may see spreading..

Thank God that Fox gave away KTVI so I hopefully won't have to deal with that crap. I've watched a bit online and it seems so pointless for a local newscast. It should just be something that could be watched Sunday morning or something.

That hasn't stopped stupid ideas before. Give it time, some FOX affiliate station will think this is the next great idea the next thing, you'll see it on several stations.

I'm curious if WNYW will jump on the bandwagon next.

There's stuff 29 does that the other stations don't - they actually seem to be more involved in state and local politics than the other local stations. And I like the idea of a more relaxed, interview-centric format - it's more the execution that's off.

Archived