KCRA-TV Sacramento ..... Now in HD!!!

susquvalleywgal

Good Job KCRA! Also, way to go Hearst-Argyle for establishing your first HD newscast! Now that Hearst-Argyle is entering the HD game, I wonder who will be next to go under the HD knife, WCVB? WMUR? WRTV? WESH?

Who knows, it could even be WISN! That. Would. Be. Wicked. Awesome. Period.

Good Job KCRA! Also, way to go Hearst-Argyle for establishing your first HD newscast! Now that Hearst-Argyle is entering the HD game, I wonder who will be next to go under the HD knife, WCVB? WMUR? WRTV? WESH?

I think WCVB is next. WISN is a little farther down the list.

I don't think WRTV is an Hearst-Argyle station. To my knowledge, I think it's a Scripps station. Am I right?

Second of all, I would love to see WGAL make the switch. They were the first commerical station in my area, to have the HD channel. It only makes sense. Even more sence that later this year will be 10 year anniversary of Super Doppler 8 and their weather set.

Honestly tho, I think WCVB will be next. And then possibly WESH (I was suprised they were not first), WTAE, and then maybe a mid-west station will go, KMBC.

We will see.

-- Matt

Guest Broken News

I don't think WRTV is an Hearst-Argyle station. To my knowledge, I think it's a Scripps station. Am I right?

-- Matt

WRTV is McGraw-Hill. They're passing ABC HD, and multicasting their 24/7 cable channel on 6.2, but no local HD news production yet.

Hearst-Argyle purchased Ikegami high definition cameras for WCVB and KCRA; there hasn't been any talk about those HD cameras going to stations other than those two at this point. WESH's set is HD ready (KCRA's new set is a smaller clone of it), so I'd imagine they're going to be the third station on the HD list.

HD screencaps, courtesty of AVS Forum: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?p=9761414&post9761414

The graphics appear to be in standard definition, but they are flying a HD-capable helicopter which is nice. The new FX Group set looks considerably smaller than their old BDI-designed set, which is odd IMO.

Just found out, IT'S A MCGRAW-HILL SITE! But...that doesn't explain why their website looks almost EXACTLY like the IBS Hearst-Argyle sites, and has a domain name like many other H-A sites (the______channel.com)

I would guess that KMBC actually is one of the next on the list because they're going to be moving to a brand new building sometime this year. I would guess that it's going to be HD-ready since it would be kind of silly not to, but I could be wrong.

Even though they're still in their old studio, KMBC recently did change their background to be just like KCRA's with a big monitor or rear projector. I would think they're going to have a pretty identical set once they move and they're just trying to get viewers used to the new look before they go the whole nine yards. Like KCRA, KMBC had been using a skyline as the background.

Just found out, IT'S A MCGRAW-HILL SITE! But...that doesn't explain why their website looks almost EXACTLY like the IBS Hearst-Argyle sites, and has a domain name like many other H-A sites (the______channel.com)

McCrap Hill does that for their Denver station KMGH www.thedenverchannel.com, KGTV San Diego was http://www.thesandiegochannel.com until a few years ago when they switched to www.10news.com. All three sites follow the IBS format.

I think WCVB is next. WISN is a little farther down the list.

And for those near New Orleans, WDSU I guess is last on the list.

McCrap Hill does that for their Denver station KMGH www.thedenverchannel.com, KGTV San Diego was http://www.thesandiegochannel.com until a few years ago when they switched to www.10news.com. All three sites follow the IBS format.

Right. I don't think the "xchannel.com" web brand was something specific to Hearst, but rather it was specific to IBS. In fact, I remember a piece on their site touting their "unique local 'channel' branding" as part of their sales model. Hearst, being an early client of IBSYS (I'm sorry, IBS) did and continues take advantage of that. It's really not a bad way to get people to remember your Internet address, I guess; especially for stations that don't brand around call letters. We know all to well how many "11 News" or "News 2s" that there are all around.

I guess now we're seeing many stations turn away from that, now that the Internet and Internet addresses are something about as common as cable television. Now, these websites are established and no one needs a clever brand to remember what to type in. The focus is on TV/web convergence, and more importantly, how to drive the traffic in so you can charge more for those damn little "200,000 MORTGAGE FOR UNDER 400 A MONTH!" ads with the fancy little dancing couples.

Sigh. I guess that wasn't the point, but there's a little more info.

Archived