WFTV's Darrell Greene Heading to WHBQ

TennTV1983

Darrell Greene, currently a news anchor/reporter at WFTV in Orlando, has been named as a new anchor at WHBQ-TV in Memphis. His first day on the job will be on August 2nd. Here's the article with more information:

http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/entertainment_tv_tvblog/2010/06/wftvs-darrell-greene-ecstatic-to-be-going-home.html

EDIT: It's unknown whether he'll be co-anchoring the morning or evening newscasts, even though a search has been going on for a replacement for Steve Dawson, who had supposedly retired a few months ago.

I know I'm leaving the O-Town area but it's a darn shame because he is a great anchor but Bob Opsahl won't retire and Greene is definitely main anchor material. WFTV always grooms good talent and loses them like Chris Egert, Zach Klein, Ben Smith, and Jodie Fleicher.

Darrell Greene, currently a news anchor/reporter at WFTV in Orlando, has been named as a new anchor at WHBQ-TV in Memphis. His first day on the job will be on August 2nd. Here's the article with more information:

http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/entertainment_tv_tvblog/2010/06/wftvs-darrell-greene-ecstatic-to-be-going-home.html

EDIT: It's unknown whether he'll be co-anchoring the morning or evening newscasts, even though a search has been going on for a replacement for Steve Dawson, who had supposedly retired a few months ago.

My guess is he will be on the evening desk. I do believe there was/is a morning opening to replace Curtis Jay, but its been since last September when Dawson abruptly retired and Mearl Purvis has been doing solo anchoring at 5 and 9 most of the time since.

As far as I know there's still no real known reason why Dawson retired so suddenly, though there was a lot of speculation that it was a "forced" retirement because of allegations of misconduct by Dawson. There was never anything beyond that reported however.

Certainly seems that Greene will be quite competent and ready to take on a main anchor position based on what I've read.

Hopefully he will do the evening newscasts. It strange to see multiple anchor newscasts in the early portion of weekdays on FOX13 then solo anchoring on both newscasts in the evening. It just makes the station look like a very small market operation when it in the top 50.

• 1 month later...

WHBQ is now running promos for the new evening anchor team of Mearl Purvis and Darrell Greene, confirming his new position as suspected. The promos indicate a Wednesday 8/4 premiere rather than Monday, however. Greene will quickly be working his first big coverage at the station with an election night featuring several major races upcoming on Thursday.

Archived