Fox shocker: Davlantes & McPherrin to host mornings?

lazynetjunkie

Then who will anchor sports at night?

If McPherrin was moved to mornings, it would be nice to see Fowler bring in Jeff Blanzy, formerly of ABC7, or Howard Sudberry, formerly of CBS2, to take McPherrin's spot.

If McPherrin was moved to mornings, it would be nice to see Fowler bring in Jeff Blanzy, formerly of ABC7, or Howard Sudberry, formerly of CBS2, to take McPherrin's spot.
Sudberry's at WGN.

If they replace Corey at 9PM, Jill would get the spot. I can't see them passing her over to give the job to Lou (who would likely move to weekends). Plus, he does the Bears Gameday/Gamenight shows during the season, so his plate would be beyond full.

Otherwise, they could split the 9PM duties with Jill working Sundays (Fox Kickoff Sunday/Final Word) -- Wednesdays and Lou working Thursdays -- Sundays (Bears Gameday/Gamenight). Tom Waddle would continue to sub during the week and they could hire a former Bear as a contributor to travel/file reports on the team like they have in the past.

Corey has filled-in on GDC before, so there is a chance he could go for this (at least on temporary basis). Anna has worked mornings before also, but she could see this as a demotion rather than a need to help the station/GDC. The call to agree to this would no doubt be harder for her to make. Nevertheless, GDC is in need of a major overhaul.

Anyone else here notice the robot cameras not working right tonight on the 9PM newscast? On the closeups, it's obvious that there's someone actually holding and adjusting the cameras by hand and the obvious hand movements/wobbling. Also, the camera that does the main 2 anchor shot in front of the anchor desk seems to have some sort of fog/haze effect. The zoom must not be working on the close up cams either because the shots are too close and the aiming is wrong too.. It's almost like they had some inexperienced camera operators in the studio trying to operate malfunctioning cameras. It also seems they used at least 1 portable handheld cam in the studio tonight. WFLD always seems to have some problems with their studio cameras.. Especially when they try to run over anchors standing up in the studio.

I noticed that too. My guess is that the floor director may have played cameraman tonight. I would assume that a technician would be able to override the camera's systems and run it manually. I could be wrong of course.

Back on topic, I wonder what will happen to Jan and David? Would they move her to 5-7 with Kori and him to weekends with Nancy until their contracts run out? Or would they fire them both (thus paying them whatever is left on their contracts)? Things could really get interesting.

I noticed that too. My guess is that the floor director may have played cameraman tonight. I would assume that a technician would be able to override the camera's systems and run it manually. I could be wrong of course.

Back on topic, I wonder what will happen to Jan and David? Would they move her to 5-7 with Kori and him to weekends with Nancy until their contracts run out? Or would they fire them both (thus paying them whatever is left on their contracts)? Things could really get interesting.

I think David is going to get the door.. I don't think they'll give him weekends. Solo anchors on weekends is the trend now for many stations and I don't think management is going to want to get people used to 2 anchors on the weekends again.

As for Jan, I think it'll depend on what management wants to do with the 5-7AM hours. I can see them just going Kori solo; however, the chemistry between Kori and Jan is pretty good so they may want to permanently team them together for 5-7AM. It could make for a good 5-7AM show on it's own and 7-10AM almost like a completely different show.

The morning show itself needs work more than just the anchors fronting it.. They need to get back to what they did years ago. Bring back non-news related interviews, fun stuff, cooking segments, bands playing music, etc.. The whole same straight serious news for all those hours make it such a dull and boring show. Many times it seems the only person having fun doing their job is Meteorologist Mark Strehl..

I think David is going to get the door.. I don't think they'll give him weekends. Solo anchors on weekends is the trend now for many stations and I don't think management is going to want to get people used to 2 anchors on the weekends again.

As for Jan, I think it'll depend on what management wants to do with the 5-7AM hours. I can see them just going Kori solo; however, the chemistry between Kori and Jan is pretty good so they may want to permanently team them together for 5-7AM. It could make for a good 5-7AM show on it's own and 7-10AM almost like a completely different show.

The morning show itself needs work more than just the anchors fronting it.. They need to get back to what they did years ago. Bring back non-news related interviews, fun stuff, cooking segments, bands playing music, etc.. The whole same straight serious news for all those hours make it such a dull and boring show. Many times it seems the only person having fun doing their job is Meteorologist Mark Strehl..

That's why we have WGN Morning News. Now if the FCC can rule out synication exclusivity, they can make it national.

That's why we have WGN Morning News. Now if the FCC can rule out syndication exclusivity, they can make it national.

Interesting. I would have thought they would have teamed Jan up with Kori but I can see them wanting to use Jan as a GA reporter during Good Day Chicago.

I'm sure Dave will fit in perfectly at FOX 5 NY. He's more known out there and he'd be happy to return home.

My guess is that they wanted to get Jan from up under the GDC umbrella completely. I'll be surprised if she does any reporting on GDC or fills in for Anna or Dawn anytime soon (if ever). The best way to get people (viewers) comfortable with the new team(s) is not showcase a former GDC anchor (at least not early on).

The bigger story that's being overlooked is why Jill didn't get the 9 PM sport anchor spot outright and is instead a placeholder until Corey's successor is found. Is she not being considered for some reason? Does she not want the job? I really want to see how this plays out.

The bigger story that's being overlooked is why Jill didn't get the 9 PM sport anchor spot outright and is instead a placeholder until Corey's successor is found. Is she not being considered for some reason? Does she not want the job? I really want to see how this plays out.

A few things come to mind.

Management wants a male to be top sports anchor. That's the way it's been at a couple stations I've been at. Management at many stations (including female management) still feel iffy about having a female lead sports anchor.

Jill's reporting "skills" are too good to put her at an anchor desk job. She IS a good looking (and blonde) female sports reporter. A station having a female sports reporter like that has always been a plus for that station. Sports players have always eased up more to a female reporter during interviews and a female reporter can usually can get information from that player that their male counterparts can't. That's a big reason why you see more and more stations now trying to get a good looking female sports reporter.

Maybe WFLD wants to go the route of WMAQ and FOX Philly of the rotating sports anchor. That's what Renda put in place at his last station. Management just might not feel that sports are not as important on the 9PM newscast as it used to be so they might just go to permanent part time rotation.

However, maybe management wants to go the route of trying to lure in either Ryan Baker or Daryl Hawks.. If they do that, then it would give them ALOT more ease of giving a particular 9PM anchor the door. It's a possibility..

That 9PM anchor you're talking about has survived 5 different GMs and 4 or 5 NDs if my numbers are correct and isn't likely going anywhere unless she calls it quits. Too much experience in the market that's can't easily be replaced by someone else.

One huge problem they and other stations have (not including WLS) is no strong female anchor bench to pull from. Anna, Jan and Dawn are not good enough yet and may never be. Nancy is solid, but that's all they have. WMAQ only has Marion and WBBM has just Roseanne (whom they, for some unknown reason, don't feel is good enough to work with Rob).

Ryan Baker (WBBM) is bad and Daryl Hawks (WMAQ) is the worse sports anchor I've seen since Derrin Horton. Both him and Paula Faris are dreadful.

Archived