KTLA's Stan Chambers to announce retirement

tw-804

Stan Chambers is retiring after 63 years with the station.

From the LA Times:

"The newsman is scheduled to announce his departure during the KTLA Morning News on Wednesday. He will also appear during the station's 1 p.m. newscast, which will include a short retrospective of his career. A one-hour special saluting Chambers will air on KTLA Aug. 23 at 8 p.m. and repeat Sept. 5 at 11 p.m."

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/news/la-et-0811-chambers-20100811,0,685178.story

The end of Los Angeles television news has arrived, I don't think I can ever watch another newscast after hearing this, at least in the way I've been viewing them over the years. =(

I've just heard that my beloved friend (okay we've only met maybe four or five times when I was intern there) and dearest Los Angeles treasure Stan Chambers is retiring from KTLA after 63 years and thousands of great stories and accolades.

Growing up in Southern California, I tuned to Channel 5 News At ten from time to time and occasionally enjoyed watching Stan's reports. However, I was more compelled to watch the anniversary and news specials over the years that highlighted the success of KTLA's news team including the late Larry McCormick (one of the first Black television newscasters, sort of a Jackie Robinson if you will) and, of course, the great Hal Fishman.

Watching a television newscast may be one thing, but being a part of the experience is what I will never forget. As a CSUN undergrad and a KTLA intern, working on Stan Chambers' High School Journalism Awards, I would never forget shaking hands and having brief small-talk conversations with Stan from time to time, always willing to take time from his schedule for a chat about politics, community, sports, etc. I would say "I'm a big fan of yours, and loved watching your reports" and he would say "Thank you I appreciate it" followed by a handshake.

The newsroom, like anywhere else, was a place of controlled chaos and temper tantrums, two things Mr. Chambers never displayed, from my observations. He was always a figure of grace, friendship, compassion and good spirit, even on the worst of days Stan the Man always dedicated himself to telling the story of Southern California in a way no one else would, with a calm, pleasant demeanor and an insatiable curiosity.

Stan the Man, television would not be what it is today without your grace and compassion and insatiable curiosity, the likes of which people have tried but could never imitate.

Thanks for you're 63 years of service to Los Angeles, we're gonna miss ya buddy.

Archived