WGAL gets current Hearst look

susquvalleywgal

Everyone:

Today at 5PM, WGAL became the first television station in market #39, to broadcast news in 16x9 widescreen.

This is what I think is the first video that highlights the new look, the 5PM forecast:

http://www.wgal.com/video/26121952/detail.html

There is a lot that I like about this new package ... while they did get the same L3's, OTS as KCCI and WPBF, they have really nice vertical blinds effect to the graphics. The open really highlights this. I hope someone gets the open posted so you can see what I mean. It's almost like WISN's open, but WGAL does it with ease.

So I also DVR'd tonight news on my non-HD DVR/Satellite box, and it still looks nice non HD .. but it is better in HD.

Overall very nice ... Well worth the wait ... Guess I have to change my signature now ... haha.

-- Matt

There is something definitely wrong with that video. The L3 and video look like they're squished to 4:3 but the weather graphics don't look squished.

:|

Those WX banners definitely fall outside the 4:3 safe. Waaaaay outside. (the whole video is squished down to 4:3 for the online post, but I suspect those weather graphics are probably hard to read on-air)

Here is more video from you ... gives you full screen BREAKING NEWS screen ... live 2 shot, and L3's all in one video. I still say, this is perhaps the best WGAL has looked in a real long time. Keep in mind tho, I still dont' think their website is ready for the 16x9 video yet, since there are still bars on the side, but opinions aside, I still think this look is very nice.

http://www.wgal.com/video/26135032/detail.html

-- matt

• 11 months later...

Archived