Feb. 2011 Ratings- WBBM up, WFLD continues to fall...

Jase

From the Sun-Times-

http://www.suntimes.com/business/4117157-420/johnson-sullivan-anchor-duo-paying-off-for-wbbm-channel-2.html

"The February Nielsen TV local news ratings released Thursday were good for CBS-owned WBBM-Channel 2. But the numbers were sure to cause even more hand-wringing and rethinking of things at Fox-owned WFLD-Channel 32.

WBBM’s late newscast surged into second place in the February book with a 6.0 rating Monday through Friday, up nearly a full rating point from its 5.2 showing a year ago. That put Channel 2 in second place overall behind perennial frontrunner ABC-owned WLS-Channel 7, which notched a commanding 9.7 rating for its 10 p.m. news report, down a sliver from a 9.8 a year ago.

At Fox’s Channel 32, the news only gets grimmer each month. The 9 p.m. newscast slid to a lowly 2.3 rating in February, down more than a full rating point from the 3.4 it scored a year ago. But more troubling, perhaps, is WFLD news management’s seeming inability to decide on a workable format for the newscast. The co-anchor team of Bob Sirott and Robin Robinson have been in place since July, which suggests the duo hasn’t been able to help move the ratings needle in the right direction."

--Lewis Lazare

If you don't keep a consistent format, it will just make it harder for a viewer to become accustomed to your product. They'll flip it to someone who has a newscast with recognizable talent and a flow they're used to. If you move your weather hits, sports is cut, or if you're A Block all of a sudden has anchors running around the newsroom...this needs to be done carefully and concisely. People generally don't like change in their shows; format changes are a big turn-off. Though some may say the changes FOX has made is akin to re-arranging the furniture on the Titanic, the numbers will come back when the viewers begin to finding something they're used to seeing (and solid stacking of the show, which can be done gradually to get it where you want it).

tl;dr

Like it or not guys, changing your show all the time to make it look pretty is not a good way to keep viewers.

There needs to be change in management at WFLD.. Why it hasn't happened yet still baffles me. Anywhere else, corporate would have stepped in and made the changes themselves by now, especially with this big of a loss. Trust me, there is no use in trying to explain to current management (especially one of them) on why they are sinking or what they should do. They are stuck on their ways and unwilling to change mindset. The sad part is I can still see at least one of them getting the same job elsewhere in town..

I think the #1 killer of WFLD is the firing of so many good (on-air and off-air) and familiar people, especially all around the same time.. Many that have been with the station since close to the beginning that made the station what it was. They may have been able to get away with some of their format changes too if they would have left the on-air talent alone. Yes, WFLD hasn't been #1 from the beginning but they have had a constant level viewership with almost no loss (until "Fowler & Friends" took over). It has almost always been a station to live within its means so they were still profitable (of course again, until "Fowler & Friends" took over). That's why the previous few management had pretty good terms and the station didn't get hassled by corporate. They were pretty much left alone.

They gotta fix all the technical problems. I turned on the noon newscast earlier and it was a long time of hearing sound but no picture so I turned to WGN. I'm 99% sure other viewers did too.. I wonder if the control room even realized the picture went blank for a chunk of their newscast.

I guess being the guinea pig (as some have suggested) to whatever "new formats" corporate wants to try out on the FOX O&Os has afford Renda (GM) and Fowler (ND) a little more time. The addition of a Planning Manager (Jay Foot) and I believe the recent hirings of an EP for both the weekday (finally!!!) and weekend 9PM newscasts may be key to how long one (or both) will last @ WFLD.

I agree it's weird that corporate hasn't stepped in. I wonder what the magic number is ratings-wise (less than 80k, 70k, etc.. viewers) before something happens.

About a week ago, they added a new element/format to the 9PM. Either Bob or Robin (standing in front of the desk) does an opening intro to the newscast which transitions to one of them reading a rundown of some of the day's top headlines, then the "first forecast" with Bill followed by the night's top story.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived