WISN-TV - new lighting design or just a fluke?

LoadStar

I'm watching WISN news 3/23 @ 10 p.m., and it looks like the main anchor desk is being lit much differently than I ever remember it. There's a lot more contrast tonight, and reds/golds are much, much more pronounced. If I had to come up with a word for it, its that the colors are much "richer" than they ever were before.

Is this just a fluke tonight, or are they doing something different with their lighting?

(It's a good look for them... they always had a very flat white/blue to their lighting.)

Could a lighting design change like this be linked to producing HD news?

I wish. I don't see WISN going HD anytime soon. They can't even manage to get aspect ratios right some of the time. (Just tonight, they screwed up the aspect ratio of the network-provided Nightline tease - squashed the 16:9 down to 4:3.)

Might be one of many steps that might one day eventually lead toward them thinking about HD, I suppose.

12 News This Morning just started, it's hard to tell what's changed, but something definately has changed. I want to say the picture is sharper, so they might have installed HD studio cameras...

Lighting upgrades are usually a sign of preparations for HD news though...

I noticed this too. To me the picture does seem almost sharper. I really hope this is a step towards them going HD. But if they are in the process of going HD, I think the set needs to be overhauled.

12 News This Morning just started, it's hard to tell what's changed, but something definately has changed. I want to say the picture is sharper, so they might have installed HD studio cameras...

Lighting upgrades are usually a sign of preparations for HD news though...

Care to elaborate at all...?

In other news regarding WISN, they surprisingly fell from 1st to 3rd place in the 10pm slot in the February ratings, behind WTMJ and WITI.

WTMJ- 4.53

WITI- 4.31

WISN- 3.82

WDJT- 2.55

http://onmilwaukee.com/movies/articles/feb11demos.html

A big part of that was Super Bowl related, I'd wager, but still -- that's simply shocking. It's been WTMJ and WISN neck and neck for some time, with WITI a comfortable third.

It's also interesting that this drop for WISN happened simultaneous with the expansion of the 10:00 news to 1 hr. long.

A big part of that was Super Bowl related, I'd wager, but still -- that's simply shocking. It's been WTMJ and WISN neck and neck for some time, with WITI a comfortable third.

It's also interesting that this drop for WISN happened simultaneous with the expansion of the 10:00 news to 1 hr. long.

If it was Super Bowl related, you have to hand it to WITI. Their 9pm newscast was the highest rated of all late night newscasts, and they managed to hold enough viewers to move them into 2nd place at 10.

And yes, I do think that WISN falling to third has a lot to do with the 1 hr newscast. Even though the two half hours are completely different, people hear 1 hour and think "I don't want to stay up that long".

And yes, I do think that WISN falling to third has a lot to do with the 1 hr newscast. Even though the two half hours are completely different, people hear 1 hour and think "I don't want to stay up that long".

Yeah, I read that comment in one of the articles (think it was the J-S article), and I just simply facepalmed.

Although personally, I've long since been an advocate of them carrying the late night network programming live instead of time-shifting it. (Nightline at 10:30, Kimmel at 11:05) If they scrap the second half hour, that might finally let them do so.

Archived