"KHOU 11 Stands For Houston" new logo and slogan

TexasTVNews

Oh my. It looks like a logo for a sports team. As someone who grew up watching this station (it holds such a special place in my heart--silly, i know), my initial reaction is that I hate it. Let's see if it grows on me though...

EDIT: And just when we thought cheesy music videos were left in the 80s: http://www.khou.com/video?id=118803639&sec=548547

EDIT: And just when we thought cheesy music videos were left in the 80s: http://www.khou.com/video?id=118803639&sec=548547

Ha ha..that was my thought exactly.

After *MUCH* digging around, I finally found a story with video posted to it here.

Why does KHOU hate the web so much? Their website is one of the most over-stuffed, under-achieving places i've been to in a long time.

The new KHOU logo has started to grow on me. The new graphics also has the colors of Texas (red, white and blue) the same way that KTRK uses in their logo and graphics.

As a fan of cheesy 1980s style promos, I wholeheartedly approve this image campaign.

The graphics look... interesting. I almost get the vibe that they're an HD update of the 2002 WBBM stuff.

And I don't think that logo looks like a sports team... as I've seen sports team logos for local stations.

The new look is

I definitely like the new graphics, and the new look of the studio is pretty good, too.

Why does KHOU hate the web so much? Their website is one of the most over-stuffed, under-achieving places i've been to in a long time.

Pretty much all of the Belo stations have that design. It's not quite as good as what the LIN, Fisher, or Cox stations have, but it's a heck of a lot better than what they had five years ago!

As a fan of cheesy 1980s style promos, I wholeheartedly approve this image campaign.

The graphics look... interesting. I almost get the vibe that they're an HD update of the 2002 WBBM stuff.

And I don't think that logo looks like a sports team... as I've seen sports team logos for local stations.

Haha that's exactly what they reminded me of! I really like the new graphics. The return to a blue color scheme and simpler graphics is welcomed by me. I also like the star elements in the graphics. The new graphics oddly make me like the music better.

To me the new logo looks very 1980's Walmart. Plus 11 Stands for Houston would have sounded a lot much better. I guess they though people wouldn't know KHOU is 11's call letters?

I agree, but I think they wanted to emphasize the HOU in the calls; they *do* stand for HOUston lol.

Has KHOU ever been pronounced as a word (as in Koo)? I think the overall look (graphics' date=' set, etc) is too busy and disjointed. I'm particularly not enamored with the studio A set.[/quote']

No. And let's hope they don't come up with that idea. And I agree about the studio A set, I actually think the newsroom set is much better. The studio A set is quite bright and busy, but it is growing on me slightly.

Anyway, I just haven't liked the direction of the past few years. It seems like the 'Spirit of Texas' is dying at KHOU, which is a shame. I even miss the old Onyx font. They've seen a lot of change in the last few years. Steve Smith once called it the "classiest station in America." All things change, I guess, but I'll miss some of their traditional elements.

On an unrelated note, does Greg Hurst remind anyone else of Shep Smith? (I mean that in a good way.)

• 3 weeks later...

I like the effort -- doesn't look like every other station in the country -- wish the song had a bit more of a signature to it, but really like the logo treatment at the end of the music video.

Actually reminds me a bit of the WXIA 11 Alive elements from the mid 80s. Who knows, maybe someone in mgmt has been poking around old videos and forums.

But it's a clear defense move in anticipation of losing Oprah...they decided to start acting like a longtime #1 station.

Archived