WBNS going HD on April 2

10Viewer

10TV Sets High-Definition News Launch

Mar 05 2007 2:14PM

WBNS-10TV announced Saturday the launch of central Ohio's first local newscast produced in high-definition television.

The station will debut the HDTV newscast at 5 p.m. on April 2.

As part of the transition, WBNS' local news will now be known as "10TV News-HD." The move reflects the new generation of local news from the 10TV Eyewitness News moniker that has branded the WBNS local news for over 20 years.

"We firmly believe that you simply can't say that you're central Ohio's news leader," said News Director, John Cardenas. "We believe that your actions must speak louder than your words. This transition to HDTV is a great fit with the leadership we strive for everyday. We think the viewers are going to be very pleased with what they see."

WBNS-10TV started migrating to HDTV equipment late in 2006. The early part of 2007 will be spent producing new HDTV graphics, installing graphic equipment and remodeling the set to be more vibrant for HDTV. Equipment will also be upgraded throughout the year to allow for HDTV video from stories on location.

"This is as revolutionary as going from black and white to color back in the early sixties," said WBNS-10TV President and General Manager, Tom Griesdorn. "The commitment of this team to pull off this enormous technical feat has made me very proud. From the production crew members, to the engineers, to the anchors, reporters, producers and photographers in the news department, this has been an absolute station-wide effort."

HDTV is a digital format that broadcasts twice as many lines of resolution as a standard definition television. The result is a picture that is much sharper with much more color and definition.

WBNS-TV broadcasted the first live true-HDTV sporting event in the country when they aired the Ohio State-West Virginia football game in September 1998. Over the years, WBNS has continued to lead in HD by broadcasting the first game of the NHL's Columbus Blue Jackets, and local specials like the Decorators Showhouse and Chihuly at the Conservatory, and is planning an HDTV documentary on domestic violence for summer 2007 as part of the station's continued "Show You Care" commitment. In addition, the station has produced numerous marketing campaigns in HDTV.

WBNS' commitment to HD dovetails with CBS' strong HDTV lineup. From sports to primetime to the Late Show with David Letterman, CBS has been a leader in HD content for years.

The Dispatch Broadcast Group includes WBNS-TV, WBNS-AM/FM, Ohio News Network and Radio Sound Network in Columbus; WTHR-TV and WALV-LP in Indianapolis, Dispatch Interactive Television in Columbus and Indianapolis.

Yeah, I'm surprised myself. They've had the "Eyewitness News" brand longer than 20 years, since the '60s I believe.

They have the new "10TV News HD" logo with this story on their webpage. It has a sleeker look to it. Not bad.

I sense that they will also probably be dumping "This Is Your News", which they have used since April 1998. I have always liked the package as it never seems to get old.

I have always been a fan of the current set, which they have had since September of 2000. It will be interesting to see what kind of changes they make.

I guess I should start recording some of their current newscasts before they start making changes...

Yeah, I'm surprised myself. They've had the "Eyewitness News" brand longer than 20 years, since the '60s I believe.

They have the new "10TV News HD" logo with this story on their webpage. It has a sleeker look to it. Not bad.

I sense that they will also probably be dumping "This Is Your News", which they have used since April 1998. I have always liked the package as it never seems to get old.

I have always been a fan of the current set, which they have had since September of 2000. It will be interesting to see what kind of changes they make.

I guess I should start recording some of their current newscasts before they start making changes...

yeah i see there newscasts on Ohio News Network here in Dayton

WBNS is now broadcasting from a temporary set, as of today (Saturday March 10th). It looks like either a chroma key or just a blue duratrans. They only show one camera angle and they did not show the weather center, like they usually do.

The transition has begun.

Watching "10TV NightBeat" tonight, they are anchoring from the interview area off to the right side of the set. Jerry Revish did do a short stand-up from the flat panel screen on the right side of the set that they haven't changed, but they didn't show anything else.

They also did "Wall to Wall Sports" from a local Donato's pizza restaurant instead of the 10TV studio.

• 4 weeks later...

Well, WBNS went HD today at 5pm. As expected, it was mostly overblown. I only caught the end of the 6pm news tonight. They are now "10TV NEWS HD". Brand new (ugly!) mic flags, flat narrow and shaped like a triangle around the mic.

Their set isn't terribly different. They dumped the Columbus skyline in favor of a super futuristic computer type backdrop. The news desk has changed and the weather center got an update, but nothing really huge. They could have expanded the weather center, but didn't. Instead, they have bigger HD monitors, which make the space looks smaller.

The graphics are still Giant Octopus, and only a few shades different from the June 2005 graphics package, which I loved.

I did not catch the theme music, although they were using the same sports music.

Overall, mostly overhyped.

ONN has not changed at all. They are still using "This Is Your News" and they still have the great graphics that 10TV dumped yesterday.

I think they made a big mistake dropping "10TV Eyewitness News".

This looks like an opportunity for NBC 4 to snatch up some viewers.

Bad move on WBNS' part, dumping their heritage branding like that. Also, I'm getting real sick of News Operations putting HD in their moniker. There are many in their audience who don't have HD, so why should it matter to them if the news is being broadcast in HD?

If there is one thing that I've learned about News: is keep it simple stupid. Gimmicks and Flashiness do not mix well with news in the Midwest. Were simple folk who just want our news; dammit! WBNS could take a lesson from their friends at WBBM in Chicago, as to how well that worked out for them, some 15 years ago. Anyway thats my opinion on the subject.

-- all it requires is replacing the control and master control equipment (new switcher, HD upgrades made to chyrons and an overhaul of master control), video sources (VTRs/video servers, studio cameras, ENG cameras, and HD upgrades made to weather system), studio lighting and transmitting equipment with equipment that supports HD.

That's all it takes? I thought it was something involved and rather technical. Thanks for simplifying it.

Archived