NCAA Coverage

NashvilleTV5

Okay..let me start off by saying, by no means am I sports litterate. I have no knowledge, and not tuned into sports news whatsoever. But last year, all of the Final-Four games of the NCAA were broadcasted on CBS. This year, they aren't! And I'm glad because I don't like how those games pre-empted all the newscasts on the CBS station. So, then does that mean an actual sports channel (like ESPN) picked up the coverage and that all games are broadcasting on ESPN? That's how it should've been in the first place!

at least all the sweet 16-through the national championship will be soon

yeah, but will those be broadcasted on CBS? I'd say leave all sports related programming during the weekdays on ESPN or other sports networks. Exception to weekend programming for major TV networks. By all means, go for it on the weekends!

ESPN will not be carrying ANY NCAA tournament games because they will be airing the NIT.

CSTV will air two first-round out-of-market games on March 15 and 16. They have yet to determine which games they will air.

http://www.cstv.com/sports/m-baskbl/stories/030607acz.html

The rest of the games will be on CBS, which has a contract with the NCAA through 2010 to air the tournament.

Well from what I know of the CBS contract is that CBS will be covering all the games starting the 15th of March. The only game on ESPN is the Play-In game (64 vs. 65). Normally the games play Thursday-Sunday (so this year the 15th through the 19th..23rd through the 26th..and then the Saturday and Monday for the Final 4)

Beyond that, CBS is delegating two games (out-of-market ones) to its little sister network CSTV during the first round. That will be the first time such an arrangement has been made since the ESPN step-in a few years ago during the Iraq War, but that was also a special case.

What I'm interested in knowing is, in this the penultimate year of analog coverage, how many affiliates are planning multicast coverage during the first three rounds, and how much. Here in Western WA, KIRO plans coverage of up to three simultaneous games on their bouquet (1 HD, 1 SD, 1 Analog).

I don't know which 2 games will be on CSTV, but I would guess that they will be the games on Thursday and Friday that have been pre-empted by CBS affiliates in the eastern and central times zones for local and national news. It will probably be one game from Sacramento on Thursday and one game from Spokane on Friday.

Seeing as the NCAA doesn't like to start play at any venue before 11 AM local time, I would say that's the likely plan. As it is, those games only are seen in the common markets. A real win-win for all concerned here. Now who gets to play in the "dark zone"?

Answer: (East 11) George Washington vs. (East 6) Vanderbilt on Thursday, and (Midwest 14) Miami, OH vs. (Midwest 3) Oregon on Friday.

UPDATE: The CSTV lineup is now confirmed. From the CBS Sports press release...

CSTV will air two out-of-market games of the NCAA Division I Men’s Basketball Championship in their entirety. On Thursday, March 15, Vanderbilt plays George Washington and on Friday, March 16, Virginia takes on Albany. Both games will be broadcast locally on CBS.

That Friday game is the first to tip that day, so everyone outside the region should see a taste of it before heading off to their assigned match.

Guest Former Member 207

CBS has carried the NCAA men's basketball touraments since 1982 (they were on NBC before that), and all games exclusively since the early 1990s (some early games were on ESPN, others were syndicated to the markets of the participating teams). ESPN and ESPN2 carry the NCAA women's tourament. Because of that, plus the National Invitation Tourament (for those who had decent records, but not good enough for the Big Dance), ESPN nor ESPN2 doesn't have the time. I don't mind CBS's coverage, in fact, I love their coverage.

The set-up for early round telecasts is usually when some CBS stations will bounce between certain games, especially to kill time waiting for the primary game(s) that's being aired to local audience (normally the school that generates local/regional interests). For the last few years, DirecTV subscribers can get every game not shown locally for $69, which covers up to 37 games (about the first three rounds of the tourament). Like Joe mentioned, CSTV (via CBS) will carry a couple early round games, and ESPN will carry the Play-In game (#64 vs. #65).

Archived