TMJ4 hits Rock bottom

Guest WaukeeDude

I remember a similar situation on WPXI a few years back. A man was killed in a car accident, and his children and wife were only aware of this after Chopper11 zoomed in close enough to show the kids that dad was dead.

I can't find the info on it anywhere, but there was a huge stink about it.

A few months back there was a freeway car to car shooting here in the southern part of San Diego in which a young man died. Anyways KFMB's CHOPPER 8 was the first on the scene of the shooting and they were showing a man being given first aid, the reporter said that she was not going to zoom in too close because she wanted to give the victim some respect. The next day KFMB visited the family and they said that they saw the report on tv, and they were later contacted by police regarding the death of their son. Now my point is why couldn't WTMJ have shown a little common sense and checked in to see if police had notified the family. Usually reporters will not give out names or contact any one that knows the victim until the family is notified. Shame on WTMJ. >:(

• 1 month later...

This actually just happened to me not the same situation but very similar. I was at work...WOI-TV in Des Moines called me asking me if I knew any information about a friend of mine who was involved in a police shooting. I don't have all the information but I know it was a domestic dispute with an ex of his, he broke into the house that his ex was now living in. People from across the street called the police and he had came out of the house and apparently (according to news reports) was walking toward the police officer with a shred of glass. The officer freaked out, told him to drop the glass. When he didn't the officer shot him twice in the chest, killing him.

Channel 5 broke the news to me after I said I had no clue what was going on and then wanted to know if I would interview with them. Isn't this a J-school 101 top no no? What is wrong with people? How do you think I would feel after being told a friend had just been shot in, what is so clear another example of police excessive force?

I remember when WOIO made a big mistake when they chose to air a 911 recording from the owner of the Cleveland Browns' niece, who drowned in a creek.

No other station in Cleveland did.

As are result, the Browns decided not to let WOIO broadcast thier preseason games anymore. WKYC does it now.

That is NOT excessive force, he told him to drop the glass and he didn't, so he got shot. His fault, not the police.

I hate people who bitch about the police.

The fact of the matter is that when you listen to the 911 tape they called for a tazer gun man. The officer didn't wait. The big question is why in the world does the largest city in Iowa only have 3 tazer guns to begin with?

That being said I don't agree with what he did at all. However the situation could have been handled differently.

Channel 5 broke the news to me after I said I had no clue what was going on and then wanted to know if I would interview with them. Isn't this a J-school 101 top no no? What is wrong with people? How do you think I would feel after being told a friend had just been shot in, what is so clear another example of police excessive force?

That is NOT excessive force, he told him to drop the glass and he didn't, so he got shot. His fault, not the police.

I hate people who bitch about the police.

Sorry, but I think the cop could have handled it differently. If he had to shoot, why not shoot him in the hand the glass was in? He'd have dropped it and the cop could have restrained him and got him medical help.

You don't have to use deadly force everytime. Cops are trained in that.

Archived