Best and Worst Stations in Your Market

newsie

Norfolk:

Best: WVEC, good newscasts, good talent, graphics are a little primitive, set is old but still works, doesn't call everything "breaking news" like 'tkr.

Worst: do I really have to say

Pittsburgh:

Best: KDKA - usually solid newscasts, good talent and reporters, nice graphics.

Worst: WPXI, and their PCNC & WPGH newscasts - newscasts are full of fluff, Severe Weather Team 11 urches me (the OVER BRAND it), along with Mike LaPoint, he's too happy all time it seems like (though he is a great meteorologist), ugly graphics, and horrible WPGH music.

Boston

Best: WCVB (Has won multiple awards including a few Peabodys)

Worst: WLVI (post-Sunbeam; A nice calm old-school newscast replaced with Boston's version of WSVN in order to cater to younger viewers because it's the CW, however, it backfired and did not climb out of the ratings.)

San Diego

Best: KFMB (Great talent, and provides the most comprehensive coverage in the market)

Worst: KUSI and KGTV ( Cheap, bad and most of all they are not good at coverage)

Guest WaukeeDude

Milwaukee

Best: WISN Newscasts are good, have good talent, good music, GREAT graphics, best news coverage in town.

WDJT (Pretty bad anchors, decent graphics. Low-budget presentation though.

Worst: WTMJ, WITI

WITI: 100% extreme fluff and senastionalism, mostly bad anchors and reporters (some good ones), sucked since they went FOX.

WTMJ: It's gotten WAYYYYY worse since the recent MPD bash. Now THAT'S extremely low. That's probably why many anchors and reporters left. Because they turned to the opposite site of good news. TMJ used to set the standard for news in this town until 2004 when they dropped the sailboat 4 logo. THEN things went downhill. They have the worst anchors in the market.

Guest Dylan

I don't mind lists. They're irritating, but most of the people on this forum have never set foot inside a newsroom and don't really know what else to talk about.

I do mind pointless posts like "WFTV sucks" and then that's it. Why do you think WFTV sucks? And don't say it's because they've had the same logo for so many years, because that's not a valid reason and just makes you look like an idiot.

Why is WABC the best in New York? (Obviously it's not because of their graphics.) Why is WVEC so great? etc etc.

That way we can come away from this topic knowing something about the market you're from, not just some baseless opinion.

If you don't want to come off as an annoying fourteen year old with dial-up and a tv, then don't post like one.

Milwaukee

Best: WISN Newscasts are good, have good talent, good music, GREAT graphics, best news coverage in town.

Worst: WTMJ, WITI, WDJT (post-2001.)

WDJT used to be a decent news operation until 2001, then (IMHO) they went TOO cheap and a number of good anchors/reporters left.

WITI: 100% extreme fluff and senastionalism, mostly bad anchors and reporters, sucked since they went FOX.

WTMJ: It's gotten WAYYYYY worse since the recent MPD bash. Now THAT'S extremely low. That's probably why many anchors and reporters left. Because they turned to the opposite site olf good news. TMJ used to set the standard for news in this town until 2004 when they dropped the sailboat 4 logo THEN things went downhill. They have the worst anchors in the market.

100% right on the money.

BEST: Its close between KFVS and WPSD, it really depends where you live and what you watch. If you want local coverage from southeast Missouri, turn to KFVS. If its Southern Illinois and Western Kentucky, turn to WPSD.

Now for entertainment, its somewhat close but WPSD is the winner.

KFVS has Oprah, Regis and Kelly, and Ellen.

WPSD has Inside Edition, The Insider, Dr. Phil, Wheel of Fortune, Jeopardy and Millionaire.

In the end it depends, your choice.

The worst is WSIL because it is cheap, news is bad, and not good programming. It is on a climb though because of Rachel Ray and Grey's Anatomy.

Norfolk:

Best: WVEC, good newscasts, good talent, graphics are a little primitive, set is old but still works, doesn't call everything "breaking news" like 'tkr.

No, you don't. ;)

As for WVEC, the GFX were primitive when they were first introduced (that was what; 2003). And the set, well, if there's a way to do a HD version of the same set; that could be interesting.

I'm watching this "worst" station's newscast. They really go overboard on a lot of stuff, such as the Nats/Orioles at the minor league baseball stadium in Norfolk. It's good exposure for DMA #42, but they've spent 90% of their newscast at the stadium.

One step in the right direction: put as much effort into the newscast as they put into the graphics. More overkill...that "DOPPLER" swooshing across the screen for Mike Harvey is just ridiculous.

I'm watching this "worst" station's newscast. They really go overboard on a lot of stuff, such as the Nats/Orioles at the minor league baseball stadium in Norfolk. It's good exposure for DMA #42, but they've spent 90% of their newscast at the stadium.

One step in the right direction: put as much effort into the newscast as they put into the graphics. More overkill...that "DOPPLER" swooshing across the screen for Mike Harvey is just ridiculous.

Amen.

Dallas

Best: WFAA, Solid news coverage, good anchors, Strong Community involvement.

KDFW, Close second. Best morning show in the market. Decent news coverage.

Worst: KXAS, Flashy, Trashy, Tabloid News.

Agreed. But I'd really wish WFAA would bring back its old "News 8 Listens" campaign. But alas Dave Evans flew the coop to WABC...to greener pastures...

I don't know, between KXAS and KDAF. They're both tied for dead last in my book. Poor KDAF...the only thing worse that could happen to them is if they were to get sold to (GASP!!!) Sincrap.

WFTV is the best station (well, being a a tad biased cause I work there :() because our overall presentation is done very well, we are in HD, and the mix of stories that we do creates a very good news product.

Worst station..... well Orlando is a pretty good TV market, but if I had to choose one, it would probably be WESH. I find their news quite boring, very dry, and a little too much fluff news.

• 2 weeks later...

BEST: KTVT/KTXA (Solid news coverage, good anchors, Best Weather coverage)

2nd BEST: KXAS (Live local breaking news coverage, still need to bring back Texas NewsChannel and Broadcast News)

WORST: WFAA (Good, but too flashy)

2nd WORST: KDFW (One Reason... No Anchor Talents, no Nothing!)

Archived