NBC O&O's going HD tommorow?

KKyuubi

Just wondering, has anything weird that could be a sign that HD is coming for newscasts from NBC O&O's been spotted? I've been hearing rumors that several NBC O&O's may be going HD tommorow alongside the debut of the NBC Nightly News in High Definition...

KNBC News in Los Angeles is not going HD yet, but they started to stretch their picture(4:3 format to 14:9) so the black bars on the side are thinner. But doing that they need to adjust the graphics because they are chopping off top. Look at how the 4 is chopped off in the pic.

0324h17m25ch93502nbc4hdgr4.jpg

And here is a email response from KNBC.

From KNBC spokesperson Erin Dittman ([email protected]):

>>Thank you for your recent email and for expressing your viewpoint. We

are moving towards our goal of full HD transmission and a 16:9 format,

but in the interim, have received numerous requests to provide a larger

screen format. The larger 14:9 format is a temporary solution while we

endeavor to complete our HD plans. You might be interested to know that

NBC "Nightly News with Brian Williams" will begin broadcasting in HD

beginning on Monday, March 26th. We hope you will continue to watch

Channel Four and thank you for your patience during this time of

transition.

That's odd, we don't see not many stations broadcasting in 14:9 widescreen instead of 4:3. But, this may confirm that KNBC may have HD or at least Widescreen cameras, wondering why? 14:9 is NOT a shooting format, 14:9 is a compromise ratio that is shot with either 16:9 or 4:3 cameras. BBC World sorta does this, for more info:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/14:9

0324h17m25ch93502nbc4hdgr4.jpg

Who is that guy?

Pablo Pereira, weekend weathercaster for the evening news on channel 4, he came over from KABC a few years back, Ironically the man he replaced (Danny Romero) ended up going to KABC to do the weekend evening news.

That's odd, we don't see not many stations broadcasting in 14:9 widescreen instead of 4:3. But, this may confirm that KNBC may have HD or at least Widescreen cameras, wondering why? 14:9 is NOT a shooting format, 14:9 is a compromise ratio that is shot with either 16:9 or 4:3 cameras. BBC World sorta does this, for more info:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/14:9

WTVZ was doing 14:9, then stretched the picture out, now they're 4:3 with black bars.

Don't have a tuner capture card but it looks really good here on WMC in Memphis, and they have 2 subchannels themselves (most sports look horrible on the station). So probably was the tuner there making it a bit grainy. L3s and other updated graphics are very very nice IMO.

Even in SD, the update looks good. They fixed the stuff that bugged me about the original set (the theme is much punchier, the graphics are WAY more professional looking), so it's a very nice evolution.

Those caps from WAVY definitely look better than the quality I saw on KNSD-DT, which does run a Weather Plus subchannel. I was viewing it through cable (on a Sony LCD HDTV), but I don't know if Cox North County picks up KNSD-DT off the air or through a dedicated fiber line which shouldn't be affected by the subchannel. It still looked good, but not quite as detailed as the caps you posted.

Archived