MSNBC drops Imus before fundraiser

lookin_around

I am a little surprised I have not seen a debate about the Imus situation. After all, I think the focus of this should be about the First Amendment, which is fundamental to television and radio.

In no way do I agree with what the man said, BUT, he has the right to say it! In addition, he does not do a news program...he does a comedy show! It is not like Brian Williams or Charles Gibson said it, people who need to be unbiased. Imus is paid to spout his opinion and be outrageous! Even with that said, when the comment is heard in context, it was a throw away line in a discussion of college women's basketball. There should not have been a controversy here since a lot worse has been said by others (of all races) over the years on radio. But, I don't want to make this a radio debate.

My actual point here is the timing of MSNBC dropping the "Imus in The Morning" simulcast. I had no problem with them suspending him. Being a news channel, they are probably obligated to make a stand against this type of racist remark. I even applauded them for waiting until next Monday (4/16/07) to do the suspension so that Imus' annual fundraiser for sick children could be aired. Then, less than 24 hours before the start of the event, NBC cans the show. Even worse, Imus still has to broadcast his radio show from the MSNBC studios in New Jersey. NBC states that the cancellation comes from many employees expressing unhappiness with his comments. Coincidental this comes at the same time five of MSNBC top sponsors pulled out of the show?

What I find awful with the timing of this is that Imus is not the one who gets hurt most by this (after all, I never believed he would be back on MSNBC once the suspension began), it is the sick children that this fundraiser benefits. For all of the bad things he has said over the years, he is very charitable. MSNBC could have waited two more days so that more people could have donated to the wonderful charities that help these unfortunate kids. As Imus found out, timing is everything. Now, thanks to MSNBC's horrible timing, these charities could come up hundreds of thousands of dollars short with the loss of the MSNBC audience.

NBC could have handled this with much more class! At least CBS Radio has done the right thing...so far!

From what I've read in the industry press, "no one" at MSNBC liked Imus. In one article I read (I'm desperately trying to find it but am not succeeding), it said the dayside news crew had their studio next to his and it was so hard to work around him--blaring music during commercials and sexual harassment of the women on the dayside crew--that they had to move the dayside studio.

this guy is a big creep... i wonder why MSNBC just didn't simulcast Today Show or something or do a MSNBC morning show

Stevieboy, you have to hook me up with a blown image of your avatar, lol. I love it!

I have autistic brothers, and I feel as though what the I-Man did was slap the companies he worked for and represented and the families of those he's been trying to help in the face with his words about the Rutgers team.

And so Don Imus rides into the sunset and into the small community of Hitler Valley where he gets to hang around with his buddies, Marge Schott, Mark Fuhrman, the 4 LAPD officers who beat Rodney King, Strom Thurmond, and who can forget Michael Richards.

And so Don Imus rides into the sunset and into the small community of Hitler Valley where he gets to hang around with his buddies, Marge Schott, Mark Fuhrman, the 4 LAPD officers who beat Rodney King, Strom Thurmond, and who can forget Michael Richards.

You are an ass. Have you ever listened to the show or are you listening to all the bulls**t being thrown about. The man may be a nasty SOB but has done alot of good and is genuinely funny. Those that you mention never did any good for anyone and Imus has raised millions of dollars for charity as well as helped veterans. And as Casey Stengel once said "and you can look it up"

You seem to have conveniently forgot to include the current kings of racists themselves, Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson. Remember that little racist campaign Jesse spearheaded a while back to put innocent people in jail for a false crime? He just didn't say words, he intentionally conspired to perptuate a false accusation and incited Black racism. Oh I forgot, white guilt won't let you even acknowledge that.

I was starting to think if I was the only person who saw a double standard here. Sharpton with the Brawley case and the Freddy Mart/white interloper comment while Jackson calls NY "Hymie (sp?) town!" How do they get away with all of that and Imus made one comment, albeit crude and uncalled for, in a COMEDY show and he gets fired. Yes, I know he has built a career on this type of humor, but others have said far worse.

By the way, how awful are NBC and CBS? First they put off his suspension so that he could raise money for the radiothon. As I mentioned, not only was NBC bad by droppinghim less than 24 hours before the start, but CBS follows the next day and cans him after the first day. What was the point? They were willing to put off the suspension for the radiothon but then fire him at or during the event???? If this was so outrageous and horrible, suspend/fire him immediately!!!! Don't hide behind the event or employees expressing disgust. This was purely about advertisers!!!

Oh yeah, way to be brave CBS. Let NBC make all their decisions first and then follow suit. CBS is quite spineless.

Archived