CH stations rebrands to E!

ED1

Heard about the CH stations bringing back their local callsigns a while ago, but wasn't expecting the E! deal in conjunction. I'm not expecting a lot for the Canadian content programming, but we'll see. One thing I want is new news music on CHEK; I wouldn't mind Turning Point, but they'll probably go for something else.

Funny, it was only 2 years ago when CTV ditched their local callsigns, but it feels like it's been forever.

Wonder what Rogers will do with the A-Channels too, once the deal gets approved.

Something I've never understood, and maybe you can comment on this, is why the Canadian affiliates do not use their channel numbers? Seems like it would be easier for viewers and simpler.

Maybe they just want to differentiate themselves from the USA?

^ I have no idea - but the difference between Canadian and American Networks is that Canadian networks feel more networky/national, than American stations which switches from local station programming to network and back again.

If that makes sense..

Something I've never understood, and maybe you can comment on this, is why the Canadian affiliates do not use their channel numbers? Seems like it would be easier for viewers and simpler.

Maybe they just want to differentiate themselves from the USA?

TV stations sit on different channels over the air, on cable, and on satellite (even those broadcasting on VHF). Plus the outlying communities have those same stations on different channels too.

Though there's some exceptions, such as CFJC (TV7), CHAT 6-3, "CTV Channel 9", etc...

it's because of retransmitters. the last one in Southern Ontario that I can remember making the switch was CHCH in 1997. they couldn't call themselves Channel 11 anymore when they were on 42 in Muskoka, or 22 in Sudbury, or whatever, etc.

I am SO GLAD that they are finally rebranding, CHCH will be FINALLY getting rid of what I personally think are the worst graphics ever made! I swear, they've used them since 1999!

Here are some snapshots from their online video player, also their theme kinda reminds me of what The Enforcer, The Tower, and Impact mixed together...

chfails.jpg

CH Vancouver Island has better looking graphics, but still - when it comes to bad quality, CHCH fails big time.

Chek06news6.png

A bit better, but I feel ashamed that they used CHCH's open from 2002-2004...If anything - if they were to get one of the American graphics houses to do their graphics, I bet either Giant Octopus or Hothaus would be amazing for them.

Didn't CHCH use the blue/purple open in 2001? (Also used on CHEK; I actually quite liked that open, and the music too.)

I actually wish Turning Point was used in Victoria too. CHEK's current news theme was done by a local composer. Not too bad, but sounds a bit flat and boring. Not much variation to it.

As for the channel numbers... Some Canadian stations did use them. Look at Calgary: CFCN used to call itself "Channel 5", and CICT was "Calgary 7". The catch is, those were cable channels. CFCN's on VHF 4, and CICT's on VHF 2. In fact, CFCN rebranded as "Channel 3" after they moved to cable 3 (and modified their "5" logo to resemble a "3", which I thought was quite ugly).

It seemed that at one point, CTV Vancouver was seriously contemplating going by "CTV 9" (they're on cable 9); they even had "CTV 9" banners at their booths when they broadcast on location at fairs (not to mention their website was ctv9.ca). But in the end they just rebranded as "CTV"; maybe they got yelled at by someone at the head office. So when they got their helicopter a few years ago, I wasn't expecting them to call it "Chopper 9"; I was expecting something along the lines of "CTV SkyEye".

I suppose "network + channel number" branding won't really work as well in Canada as in the US anyway. "CTV 2" or "Global 7" just don't have the same ring to them as "NBC 4".

CHCH and CHEK had the same open, gfx and music for a couple years after the name change. CHCH rebranded in Feb. 2001, CHEK rebranded about six months later, IIRC.

I too liked the original theme better than what they've got now -- both CHCH and CHEK.

the original theme is still used on CH Morning Live on CHCH. their current news theme is done by Megatrax Music -- by a Mark Something-or-other. can't remember the last name. I used to be able to find it on the SouthernMedia page. although in searching for it, I have just discovered the theme for the old show CH Talk Live was "When the Story Breaks" -- also by Megatrax.

CHCH's current theme is "Turning Point" by Mark Haffner. It's used by a bunch of Univision stations in the States.

http://www.southernmedia-nmsa.com/audioplayer.php?media=opens,3520

Kelowna's CHBC had a story on the E! rebrand, including a sneak peek at the new local news graphics:

http://www.chbc.com/index.php?name=News&file=article&sid=14100

I kinda like that new intro, I think it looks a bit RenderOn'ish with the glassiness and the three diemensional elements, I hope that's the intro for all of the affiliates :)

Also, that new theme - I am starting to think that the theme is a bit well...odd. If they were to use another package, for some reason I think Enforcer or Newsforce would soundgood...

http://www.chbc.com/index.php?name=News&file=article&sid=14100

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Well, tonight, it's offical. CH is now E!, and (in Hamilton anyway ;)), CH News is now CHCH News. Also, the new graphics, music, and set are awesome (yes, they got the big 3 things that any station relaunch need). The new set is actually pretty good, and the complete set of new graphics is actually LIGHTYEARS ahead of what they used to have. Whole thing looks like a cross between RenderOn and Giant Octopus, the cube motif is seen throughout the package.

When their video player has videos from recent newscasts, I'll get some caps.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived