KOMO Updated graphics

abric

It seems VDO has done some updating to KOMO 4 and their HD graphics. Right now the fullscreens, L3s and Coming Up graphics have been updated with a few variaties. You can check them right now with their live stream newscast at komotv.com

The lower-thirds are definitely an improvement, but it doesn't really match up with the bug except for the blue bit. The L3 would also look better if the translucent black bar at the top extended all the way to the right, or faded towards the right (from what I can see on the clips, it looks like it's supposed to match up with the diagonal at the bottom, but it's quite subtle).

And I still don't like the "KOMO" being in all caps. They should switch it back to lower case.

i thought there was nothing wrong with KOMO's old package, it looks way better than this one. i even liked the old l3's. they got this new package because they got a new GM, and he decided they needed a bolder look

It is worth noting that some of the graphics on the VDO page (the "Live" one, for instance) have already been put to pasture. The station rolled out an overhauled package just this week.

You can got a look at the lower third by going to the Fisher site and viewing their Annual Meeting webcast, archived presently under "Investor Relations". I'll see if I can screencap a set for the site.

(EDIT: Since I see the original post has a link to the station's live webcast, I'll refer you there instead.)

It is worth noting that some of the graphics on the VDO page (the "Live" one, for instance) have already been put to pasture. The station rolled out an overhauled package just this week.

You can got a look at the lower third by going to the Fisher site and viewing their Annual Meeting webcast, archived presently under "Investor Relations". I'll see if I can screencap a set for the site.

i actually like the newest new stuff better

• 5 months later...

The lower-thirds are definitely an improvement, but it doesn't really match up with the bug except for the blue bit. The L3 would also look better if the translucent black bar at the top extended all the way to the right, or faded towards the right (from what I can see on the clips, it looks like it's supposed to match up with the diagonal at the bottom, but it's quite subtle).

And I still don't like the "KOMO" being in all caps. They should switch it back to lower case.

Newcomer to the site here...

I hate to bring up a really old forum topic, but I have to strongly disagree. Perhaps you should invest in some research into the staunch and harsh criticism KOMO received when they went to the lowercase text for their graphics package back in 2000. I remember several news columnists in the area publishing some pretty bad reviews when KOMO went to the "komo 4" branding when the move to Fisher Plaza took place.

And they were right in their criticism. Lowercase letters simply do not belong in ANY television station logos. Doing such displays not only a lack of professionalism, but also degrades common sense and years of tradition.

I myself was dismayed and ashamed that the station once recognized as the news leader for the Pacific Northwest went to lowercase. In fact, it was rather ironic that just as KOMO changed a good formula (the newscast title change from KOMO NEWS 4 to KOMO4NEWS - a name that never worked in the first place - and the change of the station branding from KOMO TV4 to simply "KOMO4"), their ratings started to take a nosedive. I was singing songs of praise when the new station management at KOMO decided to pull the plug on the lowercase "komo4" bug, and so were the columnists. And it also reflects in KOMO's ratings. Ever since the common-sense move back to the bold capital letters, KOMO's ratings have risen back into second, and even nabbing the top spot for the 11PM newscast. Sure, other factors contributed, but it can't be denied that uppercase letters, in a bold setting, can help in a TV station's ratings.

In my further humble opinion, I would like to see KOMO also bring back the older "4" station bug (with the HD box surrounding it), and I'd also like to see KOMO go back to the KOMO TV4 branding, rename their newscast "KOMO News 4", and also return back to the font typeface that KOMO used for nearly 30 years.

Just my $.02

And they were right in their criticism. Lowercase letters simply do not belong in ANY television station logos. Doing such displays not only a lack of professionalism, but also degrades common sense and years of tradition.

i have to disagree with you. KTLA uses lower case in their logo, and i think they are very professional.

i have to disagree with you. KTLA uses lower case in their logo, and i think they are very professional.

Have you seen KTLA lately? They are going down the drain.

I myself was dismayed and ashamed that the station once recognized as the news leader for the Pacific Northwest went to lowercase. In fact, it was rather ironic that just as KOMO changed a good formula (the newscast title change from KOMO NEWS 4 to KOMO4NEWS - a name that never worked in the first place - and the change of the station branding from KOMO TV4 to simply "KOMO4"), their ratings started to take a nosedive. I was singing songs of praise when the new station management at KOMO decided to pull the plug on the lowercase "komo4" bug, and so were the columnists. And it also reflects in KOMO's ratings. Ever since the common-sense move back to the bold capital letters, KOMO's ratings have risen back into second, and even nabbing the top spot for the 11PM newscast. Sure, other factors contributed, but it can't be denied that uppercase letters, in a bold setting, can help in a TV station's ratings.

Do you really think people turned KOMO off because they used lowercase letters?

In fact, I think lowercase letters look good on a lot of stations and hardly unprofessional.

No, but it did play a major factor in their ratings plunge after they started using it, and that's why Fisher brought in the new management.

In fact, I think lowercase letters look good on a lot of stations and hardly unprofessional.

No, but it did play a major factor in their ratings plunge after they started using it, and that's why Fisher brought in the new management.

I'm sure as much, unless the station's main audience was English teachers. ::)

"I CANNOT WATCH THIS STATION ANYMORE BECAUSE OF LOWERCASE LETTERS."

Very funny...

Lowercase letters are fine, just as long as the station doesn't use them in their logo when trying to maintain a professional image and a first-rate news broadcast.

I think if you researched KOMO's history better, you'd know what I'm talking about.

dude, your starting to piss me off. it doesn't matter if a stations call letter are UPPERCASE or lowercase. people will watch because they watch depending on the news quality. not whether or not the call letters are capitalized.

dude, your starting to piss me off. it doesn't matter if a stations call letter are UPPERCASE or lowercase. people will watch because they watch depending on the news quality. not whether or not the call letters are capitalized.

Don't disappoint him, he's on a roll. ::)

what.

I'm sure as much, unless the station's main audience was English teachers. ::D

"I CANNOT WATCH THIS STATION ANYMORE BECAUSE OF LOWERCASE LETTERS."

Very funny...

Lowercase letters are fine, just as long as the station doesn't use them in their logo when trying to maintain a professional image and a first-rate news broadcast.

I think if you researched KOMO's history better, you'd know what I'm talking about.

ok Mr. KOMO-scholar, please enlighten us as to why the lowercasing of the call letters lead to the downfall of KOMO, as we do not know the ways of the KOMO.

***EDIT*** and I'm not talking quote the wiki page or the history page on komotv.com, I want to hear some little known facts, hit me man, I'm ready to be wowed.

***EDIT2*** I personally think KOMO's newscasts were better in the lowercase era, their new GM came from a FOX station on the east coast and has tabloided things up a bit, not WSVN status, but not as respectable as they once were.

Archived