Another WGN graphics refresh

Spring Rubber

Wow, that February refresh truly was short lived as WGN has moved on to yet another new look based off the 2008 graphics. Now the pinstripes and purples are back in the form of new animated lower thirds and bug. The shape of the lowers and bug remain the same from the February refresh, but now the pinstripes quickly animate through the lowers every few seconds, and both the lowers and the bug appear slightly transparent with an animated color background.

One of the most notable changes is that the bug now animates between the WGN logo and the "Chicago's Very Own" slogan much like the ABC7 bug does with the "HD" logo. Why WGN decided to go this route is beyond me, but I've never been a fan of it.

Wow, that February refresh truly was short lived as WGN has moved on to yet another new look based off the 2008 graphics. Now the pinstripes and purples are back in the form of new animated lower thirds and bug. The shape of the lowers and bug remain the same from the February refresh, but now the pinstripes quickly animate through the lowers every few seconds, and both the lowers and the bug appear slightly transparent with an animated color background.

One of the most notable changes is that the bug now animates between the WGN logo and the "Chicago's Very Own" slogan much like the ABC7 bug does with the "HD" logo. Why WGN decided to go this route is beyond me, but I've never been a fan of it.

My guess: maybe they switched graphics systems? I'll try and check it out when I get a chance...

I think they look pretty good, the bug included. The "WGN" to "Chicago's Very Own" transition is nice...the best of the 3 bugs used in this package, in my opinion.

Why does WGN always have the lower third higher than it needs to be? It seems to me that the extra section of purple below the text can be removed and the lower-third can be dropped and line up with the bug.

Why does WGN always have the lower third higher than it needs to be? It seems to me that the extra section of purple below the text can be removed and the lower-third can be dropped and line up with the bug.

They purposely do that for the CLTV side. CLTV uses the same reports/videos used on WGN's news and rebroadcasts WGN News. On CLTV, The CLTV bug covers the WGN bug and there's the news/weather/traffic/sports "ticker" on the same level as the bug. The lower third lines up perfectly above that.

It's the same reason why the 7 day forecast is a bit higher on the screen. So the CLTV bottom scroll/ticker doesn't block it.

Archived