Katie Couric to ABC

wabceyewitness

A deal may be announced as early as Monday, according to the Wall Street Journal and Variety. In addition to contributing to ABC News, Couric will host a syndicated talk show that will air on the eight ABC O&Os and then be distributed by Disney/ABC Television to local stations in other markets.

The Wall Street Journal mentions the possibility that Couric's talk show may replace the 4 p.m. newscasts that many ABC stations scrambled to debut this month after Oprah ended, while Variety reports that ABC may instead give back a daytime hour to its affiliates in order to allow Couric's show to be syndicated across ABC stations.

Read More:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052702303745304576363732963344302.html

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118038039

Guest Former Member 207

They would be wise to give at least one hour back to the affiliates. Did you see the horse-hockey they're replacing AMC and OLTL with?

Both of those shows replacing AMC and OLTL, by their descriptions, belong on ABC's LiveWell Network service...I really doubt both of those will have success on the big network. If ABC really wanted to, they could move one of those shows to LiveWell, and give that timeslot to Couric without having to sacrifice General Hospital or the post-GH timeslot.

Congrats to Katie on her new deal!

As for the talk show, it's slated to debut next fall and will air at 3p on the ABC O&Os. Katie's show will be a lead-in to 4p local newscasts, in the case of those stations that have them.

How do you think a "Katie" would fare as a news lead-in?

Additional info: While the show will be syndicated, ABC will be giving that 3pm hour back to the affiliates so that, uh, "Katie" will air at 3. That preserves the 4pm newscasts now in place on many of the ABC O&Os.

Of course, that's when General Hospital airs, so now the question is "what do they do with it". ABC is saying they're still commited to the soap, so presumably if one of the new reality crap shows fail, they'll move it to that spot.

Katie is also joining ABC News as part of this deal, and she'll start appearing on their air this summer.

How do you think a "Katie" would fare as a news lead-in?

I think surprisingly well, depending on what the show is like. It's certainly the surest bet to replace Oprah in terms of popularity.

Am I safe to assume that this is 3 eastern/2 central?

Update: No, it's 3 o'clock period...and very few are happy. WLS's "Windy City Live" posted the news on their Facebook page, and have seen several negative reactions. At one point, the producer of WCL went on trying to convince the posters that she's not that bad. I don't usually comment on those posts, their usually full of over-reacting idiots, but even I had to express my disappointment:

"I'm aware ABC7 has very little control over this...ABC first decides to kill off the soaps (whatever, what's done is done), replacing them with two shows that will be DOA, and now the network wants to take away the syndicated 3pm hour and force off Inside Edition (eh) and Jeopardy? ABC's never had the strongest ratings in news and primetime programing, but prides itself on having the #1 local news stations in the 4 largest markets nationwide. The network apparently feels that it is necessary to drag down the affiliates, too. I will not boycott ABC, but am still extremely disappointed in the network's recent decisions!"

There's really no need to overreact.. WLS is fine. Inside Edition and Jeopardy will likely just get bumped back to an earlier time. Likely 2-3PM. WLS isn't losing any time. WLS already had Oprah in the spot the other O&O's have Live! with Regis and Kelly. That was replaced with Windy City Live and WLS already had a 4PM newscast in place. WLS will still have the dedicated 2 network hours in the afternoon along with an additional syndicated afternoon hour Inside Edition and Jeopardy. WLS has the additional syndicated time from not airing Who Wants To Be A Millionaire and Rachael Ray (both on WGN) aired by other ABC O&O's.

ABC knows WLS is one of their top rated O&O's. ABC has a very good relationship with their President/GM using her consultatively for the ABC O&O group. The station isn't getting screwed over..

Really?!? Bitchin about the soaps?!? They're dying off.. They aren't getting the key demos. That's all that matters now to the network's/station's sales department. HH's are meaningless nowadays. That's why they're being cancelled. Just like any other show on TV, whether it being network or syndicated. It can have the highest numbers of HH's in the world but if they aren't getting the key demos, then they aren't making any money. Simple.

To anyone thinking of complaining, please chill.. The people at the networks/stations are tired of hitting the delete email buttons. This is all still a work in progress.. This isn't happening until Fall of 2012.. ALOT of things can still change between now and then too.

When you say very few people are happy, you can't base that off comments you see posted on a message board/forum or facebook page.. You gotta remember, the number of people who post those things or complaints are very miniscule compared to actual number of viewers watching something. You can say some people aren't happy, but not assume that most of the people aren't happy.

• 11 months later...

WLS already airs Jeopardy too early...pushing it back to 2:30pm is way too early. Too bad it can't air back to back with Wheel of Fortune like it does in most major markets.

As far as the ABC daytime lineup goes, I don't see why affiliates in the Central and Pacific time zones don't air local news at noon now. With All My Children gone and there is no afternoon soap block anymore, why not put news at noon and air The Chew elsewhere? Stations could air News at 12, The Chew at 1, and GH at 2pm in its current slot if they wanted too. I'm sure some will.

Archived