East Coast Quake

24994J

If this is in the wrong place...please move it.

As some of you know (or felt), a 5.9 magnitude earthquake occurred in Virginia, about 90 miles (don't hold me to that) outside D.C. All the news sites say that it was felt as far away as New York City. WABC is streaming live coverage on WLS's website, and I'd assume all the other ABC O&O sites too. WABC is saying right now that the Washington Bridge is being inspected for damage, and there are reports of other damage throughout the city.

I also saw a bit of the live coverage on abcnews.com. They are showing ABC News Now's special report, and I have a question about it...do they have new graphics, or are these justed modified for a special report?

Every station's been local since it happened after 2ish.

Brian Taff has been anchoring coverage on WPVI. Heavy use of the Big Board with Adam Joseph and Alicia Vitarelli. Live reports from David Henry, John Rawlins, and Sarah Bloomquist amongst others. Solid job - as expected from them.

WCAU is running coverage with Tracy Davidson and Dawn Timmeney. A lot more focused on discussion and interviews.

WTXF coverage is competent. This is one of those times that the cable-style lower thirds REALLY come in handy. No ticker, though.

KYW has - surprisingly - been the least prepared. (Especially given the coverage on their radio sister.) Ukee Washington was anchoring from the newsroom and coverage - which was airing on both 3 and 57 - was fairly amateurish. They were actually knocked off the air at one point.

3:30 UPDATE:

Gardner now on WPVI. Now we know this is a major news story.

KYW is essentially grabbing whoever they can find. Jim Donovan, the consumer reporter, just did a live shot. Now it's Stephanie Stahl doing one. I can't remember the last time I've seen her doing news reporting. Nor can I remember the last time any station's done a 4x3 live shot! KYW's also running bugless. I'm astounded at how poor their coverage has been.

KYW, WCAU, and WTXF all share a chopper, so the same aerials are appearing on all three stations.

I haven't even bothered to watch the local coverage here. As usual, all the stations are blowing it up. I was at work, didn't feel the quake, I come home at 4pm to see Andy Fox on WAVY live at the Virginia Beach Oceanfront talking to people about where they were when it happened. It had little effect on our area, and all I could see it really warranting would be a crawl.

WTKR even posted on their Facebook page encouraging people to submit their "quake photos." What am I supposed to send in? A picture of my backyard?

There's a hurricane coming, so my TV is tuned to The Weather Channel.

Archived