The New 1-Hour Weekend ABC7 News at 10

24994J

"In a significant expansion at Chicago’s top-rated news operation, ABC 7 is doubling the length of its 10pm newscasts on weekends. Starting November 6 on Sundays and starting December 10 on Saturdays, the late news anchored by Ravi Baichwal and Karen Jordan will increase to one hour. “As the most watched news station in Chicago, we are very pleased to reaffirm our commitment to local news by providing viewers with expanded coverage on the weekends,” Jennifer Graves, vice president and news director of ABC 7, said in a statement. The rest of the station’s late-night weekend lineup — including the long-running magazine show 190 North — will shift by 30 minutes."

-RobertFeder.com (10/3/11)

Well, that's interesting...seems a little bold, too. I wonder if on delayed nights (college football, NASCAR, etc.) they will go the whole hour? This will definitely give a significant competition to Sports Sunday on NBC5, assuming that a big extension of the sports segment is included.

Well this should be a good idea for the station. But you have a good point there, 2499. Because of irregular college football schedules, this hour-long weekend news may have a problem with viewers that may not stay up past midnight (unless they watch SNL too; but that's not the point) Let's see what happens.

KABC extended their weekend 11pm news a few weeks ago. They might as well tape the first 30 minutes and replay it at 11:30 because its all the same sh!t. I'd much rather watch SNL, however, there have been times when I come home just as the first 30 minutes are ending and it was nice to watch the 11:30 half hour instead of waiting until the 1am for KTTV's 10pm rebroadcast.

Hmmm, an hour-long newscast on the slowest news days of the week. I hope they don't add too much annoying fluff/filler content.

(Yes, I know WGN and *cough* WFLD do it already, but the later portions of those newscasts do tend to stretch for material when the news is slow, especially on Saturday.)

• 5 weeks later...

Just revealed on today's 4pm show: there will an extended weekly sports segment entitled "(abc)7 on your Sideline". A local team, from pro all the way down to youth leagues will be featured and interviewed, yadda-yadda-yadda. For example, this week they'll be profiling high school football success Maine South- after that, it's up to the viewers (they will be taking suggestions via their Facebook page). It could be interesting, however "fluffy" it may be.

Archived