WMAQ at some point wanted to ditch/hide the newsroom

Weeters

Was looking at NBC Universal's studio rental information site and noticed they added Chicago. On the Production Services page, they show this:

6XJBw.jpg

I thought it was old at first, but isn't the desk panel featuring an NBC insert (and not the NBC 5 logo) something that came up in the last year or so when NBC was trying to push out the new O&O look?

Yes. That is what the current desk looks like including the insert. My question is what the hell is the background of?

It's the city skyline and 'The Tower' (I think). I don't believe this is something WMAQ ever wanted to do but instead an option if someone wanted to use their set in a film. At one point, they did use panels (a day scene and night scene) as a backdrop, but that lasted a couple of months before those panels were removed.

Archived