A look at standardization in Canada

Viper550

With all this talk (technically, its mostly whining actually) about WBZ finally getting the CBS O&O graphics (Boston is one of the cities Canadian cable/such providers get east coast CBS from, so a lot of Canadians may actually be familiar with WBZ), led me at least expose you to what we have to deal with in Canada. As you may know, there aren't that many private affiliates on the major networks here, Its pretty much all O&O's. Thus, the entire idea of local identity no longer exists. They don't even use call signs or channel numbers anymore!

To start, we have CBC. They got a

a few years ago, and they managed to do what would be almost impossible in the U.S. (well, either that, or they're not daring enough to try): launching a new look across every CBC-produced news program, nationwide, all at once, on the same day. Looks-wise, it looks like a cross between CNN's old look and WBZ's old look: lots of boxes, unique font choices, catchy music, and of course it looks good in HD.

Global is well,

. They also unfortunately, practically hub everything out of several cities, and they have recently had a fascination with virtual sets. However, here and there (mainly on Toronto and Regina's new morning shows, and their new Sunday talk show "The West Block", I've seen this new style that they might be phasing in at some point. But for now, meh.

And then, we have CTV. This is probably something CBS should have looked at when designing that new O&O look, since it looks like even we can do a good, professional blue and gold look better than them. And also, special mention goes to CFTO's set, which looks quite massive and beyond upmarket, especially with that particularly large screen behind them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BUHz9LzL8Ac

Also as a bonus, here's the

I've been meaning to show you. Each NHL team they cover has its own version, with its own recolor/different clips/different massive logo, etc. However, its one of those packages where the 3D stuff is awesome (Troika, of course) and the 2D stuff is meh. I had higher expectations.

Also, we need to be able to post more than one YouTube embed per post. :(

Edit: Well, on the topic of rolling out a new look on every owned station all at the same time; Fox managed to do just that with their new O&O graphics last year.

I've always been a fan of Canadian television design. I think it blends the best of American and British designs. I loved the old CBC look that was very reminiscent of the BBC look of the mid-2000s, but the current look is also nice. I also like the Global look with the exception of the music. I've never been a fan of CTV's designs, but I think I'm just hung up on the logo.

What I really like about the Canadian networks is that they have been able to build strong brands and a strong connection between the national network identity with local identities. Watch any newscast and you know it's distinctly CBC/Global/CTV. I think NBC has managed that well amongst all their networks and stations, whereas CBS, with their current hodgepodge of national and local looks, has executed uniformity poorly. With regards to CBS, I'd love to see them develop a strong in-house graphics department so that they could create a look that is chiefly CBS. A dynamic look with unique colors and good typography, such as the old WBZ look, would have worked well across all of CBS, and it would have allowed CBS to stand out. Unfortunately, the current mash of national graphics using Times as a default type and the Giant Octopus local graphics makes CBS blend in with all the others.

In defense of Global's centralization, several of the markets that had their control rooms moved to other cities actually had their ratings increase (Saskatoon being the biggest example - they became #1 AFTER centralization, where for years they trailed CTV). For the two weakest stations (Montreal, Maritimes), the stations would have probably either shut down their news operations, or close down entirely if Global didn't take the centralization route. It also provided a consistent 'big city look' for every station, big and small, in the entire chain.

The biggest technical result from the centralization is that the entire network is now digital. All of its stations are capable of airing newscasts in HD.

BTW, this video contains the most recent graphics packages of the 3 main English networks in Canada. Global's video was on the very first night the station jumped to HD.

[yt]8pJK0b6Epw8[/yt]

Yeah, Canadian and British television design is often more appealing to me than US television design. The looks and themes of CTV and Global in particular I would put far above any of the US standardized looks.

The CTV look before the current HD-designed version was a little more successful in my eyes. CGI chopper and floating rectangles aren't even close to that outstanding maple leaf transition and animation:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lnUeEt3pBhQ

That said, simplicity really beats out the overly elaborate graphics we get, and CTV's set designs are creative and stunning.

Global is a little bit less standardized than CTV, and again I think their older set of opens and graphics was superior, even if the difference isn't as noticable. But man, that music...

I think it's in my news theme top three, to be honest. It's dynamic and driving, and it's the only one that succeeds in blending the traditional orchestral news music style with BBC's drums and pips.

But yeah, Charles makes this excellent point - all of the Canadian looks are thoughtfully designed and tied in to the "mothership" brand. Fox is closest here, but that look is getting very tired very fast. NBC isn't as tight, but they have a great on-air graphics team that has successfully established a "house style". And CBS, if they're serious about a standard news image, should be using Enforcer on the national newscasts - I think it's more of their signature theme than anything Evening News has. We'll never get anything close to what Canada and the UK have, since outside companies own the bulk of network affiliates. But the largest station owners, which are the networks, can do something good.

This should be a counterpoint to all of those whining about standardization - it is possible to create a great look that harmonizes the stations, even down to the name, and still have it look dynamic and creative. Standardization is not a bad thing at all.

Despite what I've said about the CBS look, I'm actually a fan of standardization - when done properly. CBC, Global, CTV, BBC, NBC - all great examples. It's also interesting to see how each station executes each look.

Indeed. Branding standardization doesn't have to be bad, as long as it's done right with some thought put into it. It's been going on for more than a decade here, and I'd have to have a tragic lack of perspective to still be crying over, say, the loss of BCTV's flower logo or CFTO's multicolour-9. The more important issue up here now is the very feasibility/survival of local TV newsrooms, especially in smaller markets like Victoria. If those smaller stations can be saved by going the centralization route (even at the expense of quite a few local jobs), then I don't really care whether it's called "VI News" or "A News" or "CTV News Vancouver Island".

On the other hand, I do suppose branding standardization is symptomatic of the way the decision-making process is taken out of local hands and placed in those 5000 miles away with little regard to the needs of the community. Arguably that mindset eventually led to the demise of CHCA and CKX, and nearly killed CHEK and CHCH. I do find it telling that CHEK and CHCH seem to be doing better now that they're under local/smaller ownership.

The tl;dr version: As long as the stations are still on the air, the graphics situation can be sorted out. Let's have some perspective.

Now on to the aesthetics...

I do find the CTV O&O graphics quite bland. But I suppose it's pretty hard to mess them up when the elements are so basic (ie. great for the smaller stations with weaker graphics capability), and I do find them better executed than the similarly (if not more) spartan CBS O&O look. The CGI chopper does look great, but it almost seems like they blew their budget on it and have to scrape something together for the rest of the open. It also doesn't seem like it was worth the effort put into it, since it's only used for Toronto and Vancouver; the chopperless O&Os' opens are really quite barebones.

In comparison, the previous glass-leaf open that Matt mentioned is a lot better suited for local customization. Personally I like the older leaf-curtain open (ca. 1998-2001) even better. I'm a bit baffled as to why, but something about it just works for me.

http://www.youtube.c...feature=related

CTV also launched a separate set of graphics for the CTV Morning Live local shows, with lots of white, and blue and yellow as accents. It's still pretty minimalist, but I'm digging it more than the main O&O look:

BTW, CTV News Channel just re-launched this morning with a new set and new graphics. Pretty euro-looking IMO. The horizontal-based transition effects are reminiscent of ABC Australia's current look.

As for Global, I'm really hoping the Toronto Morning Show / West Block / 16x9 graphics package gets rolled out across the board.

Indeed. Branding standardization doesn't have to be bad, as long as it's done right with some thought put into it. It's been going on for more than a decade here, and I'd have to have a tragic lack of perspective to still be crying over, say, the loss of BCTV's flower logo or CFTO's multicolour-9. The more important issue up here now is the very feasibility/survival of local TV newsrooms, especially in smaller markets like Victoria. If those smaller stations can be saved by going the centralization route (even at the expense of quite a few local jobs), then I don't really care whether it's called "VI News" or "A News" or "CTV News Vancouver Island".

On the other hand, I do suppose branding standardization is symptomatic of the way the decision-making process is taken out of local hands and placed in those 5000 miles away with little regard to the needs of the community. Arguably that mindset eventually led to the demise of CHCA and CKX, and nearly killed CHEK and CHCH. I do find it telling that CHEK and CHCH seem to be doing better now that they're under local/smaller ownership.

The tl;dr version: As long as the stations are still on the air, the graphics situation can be sorted out. Let's have some perspective.

Now on to the aesthetics...

I do find the CTV O&O graphics quite bland. But I suppose it's pretty hard to mess them up when the elements are so basic (ie. great for the smaller stations with weaker graphics capability), and I do find them better executed than the similarly (if not more) spartan CBS O&O look. The CGI chopper does look great, but it almost seems like they blew their budget on it and have to scrape something together for the rest of the open. It also doesn't seem like it was worth the effort put into it, since it's only used for Toronto and Vancouver; the chopperless O&Os' opens are really quite barebones.

In comparison, the previous glass-leaf open that Matt mentioned is a lot better suited for local customization. Personally I like the older leaf-curtain open (ca. 1998-2001) even better. I'm a bit baffled as to why, but something about it just works for me.

http://www.youtube.c...feature=related

CTV also launched a separate set of graphics for the CTV Morning Live local shows, with lots of white, and blue and yellow as accents. It's still pretty minimalist, but I'm digging it more than the main O&O look:

BTW, CTV News Channel just re-launched this morning with a new set and new graphics. Pretty euro-looking IMO. The horizontal-based transition effects are reminiscent of ABC Australia's current look.

As for Global, I'm really hoping the Toronto Morning Show / West Block / 16x9 graphics package gets rolled out across the board.

Hinto, in your perspective, how have CHEK and CHCH been doing since channel zero's ownership? Any programming differences or upcomings?

Just to clarify: CHCH is owned by Channel Zero (along with CJNT Montreal), while CHEK is locally owned by employees and investors.

Both CHCH and CHEK became somewhat of a throwback to the classical independent station, with a lineup of movies and local news (both started adding US primetime programming on some nights in 2010). This 21st century iteration, though, places a heavy emphasis on news. CHCH is particularly aggressive with its news lineup, broadcasting rolling news all morning and afternoon, and this year became the first Canadian station to launch morning news at 4am.

It's actually quite shocking how little paid programming airs on CHCH. Sure, all that rolling news probably is a bit much, but it still beats airing those World Vision guilt-trippy infomercials at 10am on a weekday. (cough Global cough) CHEK does air paid religious programming and infomercials the entire morning, but since they're now a small indie station I'll cut them some slack.

Both stations added new hires (CHEK regained its control room), and the morale seems pretty good at both shops. Mind you I don't have access to their books, but both stations are apparently turning small profits, which is still a far cry from 2 years ago:

On CHCH: http://www.thespec.com/news/business/article/620587--a-breath-of-fresh-airwaves-revives-fortunes-at-chch

On CHEK: http://www.canada.com/CHEK+looks+back+rollercoaster+years/5800268/story.html

Is everythng perfect? No. But there is reason to be optimistic.

Speaking of CHCH; that standard package the CH affiliates adopted (and now pretty much only CHEK and the Jim Pattison Citytv stations use) was also pretty good. CHCH had this old look that was looking very dated, they were due for an update big time (though, at that time we also had the rare instance of a Canadian station using a U.S. package, I believe they were using Turning Point)

This package was pretty good; nice music, a rather modern feel, a good motif (glass cubes), etc.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Global has been using new graphics on The West Block, The Morning Show and the Morning News in Regina and Saskatoon. i wonder if they will roll out those graphics to other stations.

Okay; now it looks like this is a done deal. Global Toronto is using a tweaked version of them full-time now.

It looks like they are using the new graphics everywhere but Global BC, Global Okanagan, Global Edmonton, Global Calgary and Global Lethbridge. The new graphics look much better and don't appear soft and fuzzy like the old graphics pack.

• 1 month later...

Global BC switched over to the new graphics this morning. Global Calgary's still using the old graphics, but they did use the new graphics during the Alberta provincial election coverage a few weeks ago.

• 2 weeks later...

The new graphics are now being used at all stations however their are some slight variations between stations. Also Global National has received new set up graphics.

Global Edmonton Graphics

Global Toronto Graphics

Well, it looks like Global National is using a variation of the new look, except the L3's are a blend of the old ones with the old design, and they sorta "flip" in instead of sliding out of the bug. All and all, it looks quite slick.

Archived