Slight Anchor Change at KNSD

Bsean

KNSD has hired Christine Haas from KHOU to anchor it's evening broadcasts starting January 23. She will achor the 4p with Catherine Garcia and the 5p with Mark Mullen. Catherine will anchor the 4, 6 and 11 newscasts and Mark will continue with the 5, 6 and 11 newscasts. I wonder if they are also considering a co anchor for the weekends?

KNSD has hired Christine Haas from KHOU to anchor it's evening broadcasts. She will achor th 4p with Catherine Garcia and the 5p with Mark Mullen. Catherine will anchor the 4, 6 and 11 newscasts and Mark will continue with teh 5, 5 and 11 newscasts. I wonder if they are also considering a co anchor for the weekends?

Well, they could always put Mari Payton alongside Artie, and now with the Super Bowl next month and football soon to be over the weekend evening newscasts should go back to its normal time slot. If I recall, Mari was paired with Artie for a about a month before football season. Although, I must say that Danya Bacchus has been doing a great job filling in during the holidays and she seems like she has more personality than Mari. In regards to Christine, I was a little surprised that KNSD had added another anchor and that Catherine was no longer going to do the 5pm. Now if they could only get Comcast/NBCU to invest in a new set...

Well, they could always put Mari Payton alongside Artie, and now with the Super Bowl next month and football soon to be over the weekend evening newscasts should go back to its normal time slot. If I recall, Mari was paired with Artie for a about a month before football season. Although, I must say that Danya Bacchus has been doing a great job filling in during the holidays and she seems like she has more personality than Mari. In regards to Christine, I was a little surprised that KNSD had added another anchor and that Catherine was no longer going to do the 5pm. Now if they could only get Comcast/NBCU to invest in a new set...

I do agree with you about Danya Bacchus. She has been doing a good job and I think would be good as the weekend co anchor. Mari seems a bit cold. I wasn't surprised they added another anchor because technically someone could have filled Catherine's old shifts, but I am surprised that she is taking over the the 4p and 5p and not the 12p and 4p that Catherine previously had. Pretty odd. I like Catherine and just find it odd to not have her do the 5p.

New set wont ever happen. 1. they just tweaked it. 2. theres not enough studio room

New set wont ever happen. 1. they just tweaked it. 2. theres not enough studio room

Well, with even more reason, get a new set that fits the space that is available. What would really help increase the studio space is if they moved the control room somewhere else, and by getting a smaller desk they can achieve more room. The tweaking of the set was not bad, but its just so bland, it looks like a receptionist's desk. Hell if they just added some plants it would look a lot better.

Well, with even more reason, get a new set that fits the space that is available.

I tend to agree with this. It's not really how small KNSD's studio is (a vast majority of TV studios aren't these huge cavernous rooms that most people around here envision), it's just so long and narrow. It also doesn't seem like Express Group did a particularly good job with using that space in the first place, since it appears there's some significant unused floor area screen left of the anchor desk.

That being said, I wish NBC would have given Clickspring a chance to try to fit something new in there--for some reason, I think a scaled down version of what they did for WCAU (with the two-person anchor desk) would have worked angled in the corner of the studio. I doubt the set resurfacing they did a year ago was that costly, and given NBC's significant re-investment in KNSD (the Haas hire, as well as Dagmar's hire are signs of this) and the other O&Os, I wouldn't be completely surprised if we saw a remodel at some point in the near future.

I tend to agree with this. It's not really how small KNSD's studio is (a vast majority of TV studios aren't these huge cavernous rooms that most people around here envision), it's just so long and narrow. It also doesn't seem like Express Group did a particularly good job with using that space in the first place, since it appears there's some significant unused floor area screen left of the anchor desk.

That being said, I wish NBC would have given Clickspring a chance to try to fit something new in there--for some reason, I think a scaled down version of what they did for WCAU (with the two-person anchor desk) would have worked angled in the corner of the studio. I doubt the set resurfacing they did a year ago was that costly, and given NBC's significant re-investment in KNSD (the Haas hire, as well as Dagmar's hire are signs of this) and the other O&Os, I wouldn't be completely surprised if we saw a remodel at some point in the near future.

Good points, It almost seems like The Express Group did not take into account the positioning of the cameras which would explain why the desk is so massive. Also, I believe during the repainting last year, they actually moved the desk back several inches. So it goes to show that poor planning was involved. A Clickspring set would really be nice especially with the windows serving as a background, but dare I say even an FX set which have actually made smaller sets would work well in their case.

• 2 weeks later...

I do agree with you about Danya Bacchus. She has been doing a good job and I think would be good as the weekend co anchor.

Well apparently Danya has been assigned to anchor the 7p newscast on the CA Nonstop Channel.

Well apparently Danya has been assigned to anchor the 7p newscast on the CA Nonstop Channel.

Good for Danya. Although apparently ever since the news at noon launched, the 7pm news has been a revolving door of anchors. I wonder if she will anchor solo or maybe with Mark or Christine? Now, about that weekend co-anchor spot...

Archived