Global News to launch 24-7 regional all-news channel in British Columbia

ED2

VANCOUVER, Jan. 11, 2012 /CNW/ - Shaw Media announced today that it has filed an application with the Canadian Radio-Television Telecommunications Commission (CRTC) for a regional, Global BC-driven all-news specialty channel. Shaw Media is expected to launch B.C.'s first all-news channel by the summer of 2012.

http://www.newswire.ca/en/story/904199/shaw-media-launching-all-news-network-for-british-columbia

VANCOUVER, Jan. 11, 2012 /CNW/ - Shaw Media announced today that it has filed an application with the Canadian Radio-Television Telecommunications Commission (CRTC) for a regional, Global BC-driven all-news specialty channel. Shaw Media is expected to launch B.C.'s first all-news channel by the summer of 2012.

http://www.newswire....ritish-columbia

My guess it will be kinda similar to the CityNews Channel that started up in Toronto last year. Then again, the CRTC doesn't just rubberstamp every channel that's being proposed so we'll have to see if this application gets approved at all or not.

Seems like Vancouver and British Columbia as a whole, would be a good market for this and if I remember correct Global BC has the highest-rated newscasts in BC

Here's video of the annoucement from Global BC:

http://www.globaltvbc.com/video/24+hour+news/video.html?v=2185941203&p=1&s=dd#video

It will be nice to have a 24/7 news channel dedicated to BC. CTV's and CBC's 24/7 channels seem to forgot about covering news in BC. I wonder if CTV BC has anything planned since soon they will be competing against Global BC and their 24/7 news channel.

• 6 months later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I am liking the graphics, from what I have seen on the website. Very clean design, lots of blue. I've also noticed billboards for other Global stations with the same look, so we could see a graphics relaunch in the next few days for other Global stations.

I am liking the graphics, from what I have seen on the website. Very clean design, lots of blue. I've also noticed billboards for other Global stations with the same look, so we could see a graphics relaunch in the next few days for other Global stations.

Just last week, Global actually started using on-air promos with that exact design and a new VO too.

Their current news design, although nicer since the new L3 design they introduced last year, still has synergy with the old teal look. I was beginning to wonder if they would be changing up the news graphics to match, since I swear its only had minimal adjustments (such as a retrofit for HD) since they debuted the current Global logo at Super Bowl XL.

Just last week, Global actually started using on-air promos with that exact design and a new VO too.

Their current news design, although nicer since the new L3 design they introduced last year, still has synergy with the old teal look. I was beginning to wonder if they would be changing up the news graphics to match, since I swear its only had minimal adjustments (such as a retrofit for HD) since they debuted the current Global logo at Super Bowl XL.

Im surprised Global BC has not started using graphics and music similar to BC1. i thought they would want to keep a consistent look between Global BC news and BC1 news.

Archived