Legendary WSB Anchor plans to Retire

Daybreak

They're never be, and NEVER be another anchor, broadcaster and communicator than Monica Kaufman-Pearson. Monica is an Atlanta Institution of Broadcast Television News. And I want to be the first to say this, if there's a TVNewsTalk Hall of Fame; I say we induct Monica Kaufman-Pearson as the 1st inductee.

Monica, You're irreplaceable, you're true as blue as the Georgia skies. All of us at TVNT wish all the best in your retirement, God Bless.

Oh, there's a special section of Monica on WSBTV.com

http://www.wsbtv.com/s/news/monica/

Monica kinda of hinted to this July being her retirement month about 2 years ago while being interviewed on local radio station "V-103" in Atlanta. However, the only people that thought she were joking to pull their leg, but it turned out to be right on the money.

• 4 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Well, today was Monica's final day at WSB. (Complete coverage could be found here.)

I have to say, WSB-TV and Atlanta gave Monica an amazing sendoff. In the weeks leading up to her retirement, there were many activities and commemorations, including words of congratulations from GA's Congressional delegation, a gala, the dedication of a local school's library to her, congratulation messages from Diane Sawyer, Robin Roberts and Oprah...I could go on and on.

So tonight, I watched the 6pm newscast. The majority of WSB's 6pm newscast was dedicated to her, including looks at her past accomplishments. First off, John Pruitt and Chuck Dowdle returned to the anchor desk for a brief segment, and, for the first time since December 2010, the entire team (Monica, John, Chuck and Glenn,) were all brought back together for a few brief minutes! :D Monica received an Atlanta Hawks jersey from Zach Klein (with the number 37 - number of years she spent at WSB) and a bouquet of flowers from Jovita Moore.

To close the newscast out, instead of the typical Coverage close, a montage of Monica's time at WSB-TV was shown, along with a final message congratulating her on 37 years at Channel 2.

Monica Pearson was an Atlanta icon and an amazing anchor and journalist, so it was only fitting that her last weeks and days leading up to her retirement had to be amazing, as well. Congratulations to Monica Pearson on a fantastic 37 years at WSB, and I wish her well in retirement! :)

As for replacements, here is what WSB-TV is currently saying:

Starting July 26th, she [Jovita Moore] will temporarily co-anchor with John Bachman at 4 p.m. and Justin Farmer at 6 p.m. “We are taking some time to decide who will take on which shows,” said Pittman. “We have a great team of anchors and a lot of newscasts. That gives us multiple options for consideration.”

Jovita Moore will have a temporary role with John at 4 and Justin at 6; there are no concrete plans set in stone at this time.

Archived