WLOX - Biloxi, MS

TVSaurus

WLOX on the MS Gulf Coast began airing a tease along with their 50th anniversary commercial. They are referencing WLOX as 'Stations' and keeping an "eye" on South Mississippi and something is to be announced soon. The only thing I can think of is Raycom is buying WKRG in Mobilie, AL possibly? They are our local CBS affiliate even though they are 70 miles away.

Any ideas?

I would hazard a guess that they are putting CBS on a subchannel and perhaps launching/expanding their current news product to the sub. It will likely be branded seperately, too, as whatever cable channel they are being carried on (i.e: CBS-4) or they may go with a simple "CBS Biloxi".

Not without precedent. KALB-Alexandria, LA runs NBC on 5.1 and CBS on 5.2 with a separate newscast at 6:30 PM for them. They brand the "station" as CBS-2 as well.

In Sherman/Denison, TX KTEN runs NBC on the .1 and ABC on the .2 with newscasts on both. I think the ABC newscasts are branded "ABC Texoma"

There are many others around the country as well.

It does sound like WLOX is looking to launch a CBS subchannel. The market is split right down the middle between WKRG and WWL for CBS in Biloxi.

On the other hand, Raycom has been itching to have a station in Mobile. They have stations in every other market in Alabama, and every market (except for Meridian, MS) surrounding Mobile. Their headquarters are in Montgomery.

WKRG has been airing a lot of Raycom content lately including "Tide & Tigers Today" and broadcasting the "Moonpie Drop" on New Year's Eve. Plus, Raycom is a part of the RSA (Retirement Systems of Alabama), who owns two of the skyscrapers in Mobile (the RSA Battle House Tower and the RSA BankTrust Building). Add to the fact that Media General is ready to sell off parts of their company to satisfy their debt issues, Raycom seems willing to buy if Media General is willing to sell...

I think it may have to do with their northern market neighbor Hattiesburg/Laurel gaining a Fox affiliate, WHPM. Biloxi only has ABC and Fox while Hattiesburg has NBC, CBS, and Fox affiliates. This will gain them revenue fro those viewers who normally watched WWL and WKRG. Despite what most think, WKRG was the preferred CBS affiliate in the area due to it's OTA reach into Biloxi and it's HD feed is the one carried on Cableone in Jackson and Harrison Counties, plus it doesn't preempt or tape delay as many network programs as WWL does. And it makes sense from a programming standpoint as WLOX will not have to feed a whole lot of syndicated shows during the weekdays. They would only have to fill 9-10am, 3-5pm, 6-6:30pm. I'm thinking they will pick up Jeopardy! since they have Wheel and J! is only seen on cable from either WALA or WVUE, who just got axed by Cableone from the network level to protect WXXV (WALA might be next) and simulcast every newscast except ABC side will get news at 11am and CBS side will get news at Noon to pattern with the network schedules.

I wonder if WLOX will do a dual HD stream (since ABC is already 720p). I've seen CBS on one of these in 720p, and you will notice a loss in picture quality.

For this to work, they'll have to dump one or more of their subchannels. Keeping all of them (ABC in HD and the others in SD) will not be a pretty sight.

UPDATE: CBS is officially "coming soon" according to a graphic on WLOX.com's home page.

I think Bounce is definitely getting dropped. Not many people in this area are fond of the channel. I think it will be a stretch if they drop the 24/7 Weather channel, but since the better programming is on CBS (mostly sports), I think viewers here will have to live without the channel and go online or to their smartphone apps for local weather just to get a nice 720p HD picture for CBS.

I think one of them will. My bet is WWL because WKRG’s signal is closer to Harrison and Jackson Counties then WWL’s is, plus despite what others say WKRG’s HD feed is the chosen one for CBS on Cableone. The only reason why WWL is considered the “A” CBS affiliate for this area is because they are on the Biloxi DMA local lineup for the satellite providers. About a week before Biloxi locals were to launch on Dish and Directv in 2010, they were slated to have WKRG and WPMI out of Mobile for CBS and NBC but WDSU in NOLA threw a fit at the satellite companies and claimed since they have a bureau in Gulfport which produces a localized feed with South MS area commercials, they are the official NBC affiliate for the area and thus the sat companies complied and WWL and WDSU were put on the local lineups.

I think Bounce is definitely getting dropped. Not many people in this area are fond of the channel. I think it will be a stretch if they drop the 24/7 Weather channel, but since the better programming is on CBS (mostly sports), I think viewers here will have to live without the channel and go online or to their smartphone apps for local weather just to get a nice 720p HD picture for CBS.

Considering Raycom has an existing affiliation deal with Bounce TV, don't bet on that network being "bounced" from 13.3, the 24/7 Weather Channel will most likely get the boot and be replaced with CBS programming. The more likely scenario would be that the CBS subchannel would be carried on digital channel 13.2 in 480i SD/16:9 widescreen, much like with Fox/MyNetworkTV's DT2 subchannel on CBS affiliate WEVV-TV in Evansville, Indiana and the recently-added CBS subchannel on the DT3 feed of ABC affiliate WBBJ-TV in Jackson, Tennessee.

(Note that In the case of WEVV, that station also added a low-power translator that allowed Fox and MyNetworkTV programming to air in HD.)

I'm gonna try to predict their pre-Fall weekday schedule. They said they were slating a Spring launch, so most syndicated shows won't be available due to them being on WXXV. Which is tough because WXXV crams so many programs between the Fox channel and the MyNetTV channel. And I'm not 100 percent sure but upstart stations can pick up shows midseason (like Jeopardy! right?) So here goes...

5am Good Morning Mississippi (simulcast with 13-1)

7am CBS This Morning

9am Shop South Mississippi

9:30am Jeopardy rerun

10am The Price is Right

11am The Young and The Restless

Noon WLOX News at Noon

12:30pm The Bold and The Beautiful

1pm The Talk

2pm Let's Make a Deal

3pm The Insider

3:30pm Extra

4pm Jeopardy

4:30pm The 4:30 Show

5pm WLOX News at 5pm (simulcast)

5:30pm CBS Evening News

6pm WLOX News at 6pm (simulcast)

6:30pm Entertainment Tonight

7-10pm CBS Primetime

10pm WLOX News at 10pm (simulcast)

10:35pm The Late Show

11:35pm The Late Late Show

12:35am WLOX News at 10pm (replay)

1:05am Til Death

1:35am Til Death

2:05am CBS Up To The Minute

4:30am CBS Morning News

My 2 cents:

Can't say for the syndicated programming, not knowing the market but based on how other markets are handling similar situations:

13.1 13.2

AM

4:30 - News syndicated programming or CBS Morning News

5:00 - News syndicated programming or CBS Morning News

6:00 - News CBS Morning News

PM

4:00 - News (moved from 4:30) syndicated programming

4:30 - syndicated programming News

5:00 - News syndicated programming

5:30 - ABC News CBS News

6:00 - News syndicated programming

6:30 - syndicated programming News

7:00 - primetime

10:00 - News syndicated programming

Simulcasting newscasts splinters the audience, which can cause problems in selling advertising. You want to be able to sell advertising at the highest rate on both signals.

My 2 cents:

Can't say for the syndicated programming, not knowing the market but based on how other markets are handling similar situations

13.1 - AM

4:30 – News

5:00 – News

6:00 – News

13.2 - AM

4:30 - syndicated programming or CBS Morning News

5:00 - syndicated programming or CBS Morning News

5:30 - CBS Morning News

13.1 - PM

4:00 – News (moved from 4:30)

4:30 – syndicated programming

5:00 – News

5:30 – ABC News

6:00 – News

6:30 – syndicated programming

7:00 – primetime

10:00 – News

13.2 - pm

4:00 - syndicated programming

4:30 - News

5:00 - syndicated programming

5:30 - CBS News

6:00 - syndicated programming

6:30 - News

7:00 – primetime

10:00 - syndicated programming

Simulcasting newscasts splinters the audience, which can cause problems in selling advertising. You want to be able to sell advertising at the highest rate on both signals.

Are we listing schedules here? :awesome:

I am not trying to start a list. I am trying to show an example of what the projected schedule could be to start discussion due to them competiting with only one other station programming wise (Fox/WXXV) who crams a great variety of top tier syndicated fare from 8am-7pm CT along with their MyNet subchannel.

It wasn't meant for your texted sarcasm. Do you not realize this is a HUGE story in a market with only three stations and one news operation. If you want to throw out my template for discussion go ahead but I'll take 11 years of dedicated readership and discussion elsewhere. I'll guess you don't care to lose your dedicated, established readers.

Because of WXXV bumping WVUE off of the cable systems in Biloxi/Gulfport....and WALA not being available due to its signal, Jeopardy! is currently unviewable in the market via cable or satellite. I would imagine the new WLOX CBS channel would pick it up, since they already carry Wheel of Fortune, and both shows are often shown on the same station.

I just read an article in the Sun Herald that reports that Cable One still has to find a spot for WLOX's CBS feed on the cable line up. Cable One said it is working to find a spot on the line up but as of yet, nothing has been worked out. So, if WLOX doesn't have Cable One on board yet, why are they advertising the CBS station?

I just read an article in the Sun Herald that reports that Cable One still has to find a spot for WLOX's CBS feed on the cable line up. Cable One said it is working to find a spot on the line up but as of yet, nothing has been worked out. So, if WLOX doesn't have Cable One on board yet, why are they advertising the CBS station?

From reading the posts on WLOX's Facebook page, not many viewers are too happy about it and are afraid of WWL and/or WKRG going away forever on cable. Many of the posts deal with the lack of knowing what's going on in Mobile and New Orleans. They think they are entitled to getting TV stations from three different markets! They'd be in for a rude awakening if they lived in a full TV market. HAHA!! But I digress, I think Cable One is trying to piss off the least amount of people it can and as far as popular opinion goes, WWL is the most popular CBS station on the Coast right now. I myself prefer WKRG because I live closer to and visit the Mobile/Pensacola area more, their newscasts are in HD, they clear all CBS network programming and show it in pattern, and their staff is pretty down to earth when it comes to social media. I think if WLOX and/or CBS will let them, they will split WWL and WKRG at the Gulfport city limit which was formerly how they determined who got Fox affiliates WVUE or WALA until the network or WXXV stepped in and put a stop to it. I don't see how WLOX can't let it happen because they allow NOLA ABC affiliate WGNO to be carried in Harrison County on Cable One. If I were a betting man, I'd say the new WLOX-CBS channel goes on Channel 7 and pushes WGNO to either 4 or 5 depending on what side of the Gulfport city limit you live near.

That's awesome living in a place where you can get stations from three different markets. I have family in Bucyrus, OH, which is right in the middle of three markets and in the '90s they could get WTOL and WTVG in Toldeo; WEWS, WKYC and WJW from Cleveland, and WBNS and (IIRC) WSYX in Columbus on their Adelphia cable system. Plus, Mansfield has WMFD which has local newscasts and an unusual network-like schedule. It was an incredible set-up. Now, I believe they can only get Columbus affiliates and WJW out of Cleveland.

On the Jackson County side, Cable One carries WKFK 7, a local channel geared towards Pascagoula and Gautier. Channel 7 is an affiliate of THIS network... since WKFK covers two of the larger cities in Jackson County, I don't see WLOX/CBS being on channel 7 in Jackson County.

Even if Cable One keeps the New Orleans and Mobile channels on cable, I would imagine that WLOX and WXXV would force network and syndicated programming to be blacked out on the out-of-market affiliates.

When it comes to satellite, once the local channels sign on, the New Orleans affiliates are good as gone.

WLOX made an official announcement today about adding CBS. It will be on 13.2 displacing their weather subchannel.

They will be simulcasting most newscasts and adding a 6:30 show in 13.2.

http://www.wlox.com/story/17269065/cbs-on-wlox-frequently-asked-questions

Video of their GM explaining CBS on WLOX

http://www.wlox.com/category/194069/video-center?clipId=6886099&autostart=true

It's official....13.2 will be the new CBS channel and Rebecca Powers will anchor a 630pm newscast and all other will be simulcast.....

http://www.sunherald.com/2012/03/28/3849030/cbs-wlox-sign-affiliation-agreement.html

CBS, WLOX sign affiliation agreement

By KAREN NELSON - [email protected]

BILOXI -- CBS and WLOX’s Raycom Media signed an affiliation agreement Wednesday, but no date has been set for when the local television station will begin transmitting the network.

WLOX-CBS will be on a digital sub-channel of WLOX and will be viewed over the air, on cable and satellite, CBS said in a statement Wednesday afternoon.

“The agreement was just signed,” said David Vincent, vice president and general manager of WLOX. “This is the first time we were able to talk about it.”

The agreement is effective April 8, but Vincent said it will be a week or more before they know when WLOX-CBS will go live.

“We will be over the air on 13.2,” he said. On Cable One on the Coast, it will appear on HD channel 457 and basic cable or analog on channel 61.

On Mediacom in Wiggins, it will be on 4 and in the St. Andrews area on 5.

WLOX-ABC is not moving from any of its Cable One channel slots, the station said.

“The news staff will be pretty much the same,” Vincent said.

Local news will air weekdays at 6 p.m. on WLOX-ABC and 6:30 p.m. on WLOX-CBS, with Rebecca Powers as anchor. Local news will be simulcast on weekends, Vincent said.

The 5-6:30 a.m. portion of WLOX’s Good Morning Mississippi and the 5 p.m. and 10 p.m. news broadcasts also will air on WLOX-CBS.

“We’re a growing market here and this is a chance for our local viewers to have a major local network here,” Vincent said. “As we grow, it gives our television market a chance to grow.”

Raycom has 10 other CBS affiliates.

Archived