Another station deal: New Vision stations to Lin Media

WXmanTim

Deadline reports that New Vision Television has agreed to sell it's 8-station group to Lin Media for $330-Million.

The deal includes: KOIN-Portland, KHON-Honolulu, The KSN stations, WIAT-Birmingham, WJCL-Savannah, WKBN-Youngstown, KIMT-Mason city.

Lin will also continue operating the SSAs in Youngstown (WYTV), Savannah (WTGS) and Topeka (KTKA) (all owned by PBC Broadcasting).

The deal is expected to close later this year.

Now the $64,000 question is whether the branding on this stations will get changed by LIN. Their stations are more known by their call letters in branding rather than network aside from the FOX affiliates. WIAT goes by "CBS 42" with the CBS O&O graphics, so will LIN change this overnight because in Birmingham the station is more synonymous with the existing branding rather than the WIAT call letters (which were WBMG until 1998).

Now the $64,000 question is whether the branding on this stations will get changed by LIN. Their stations are more known by their call letters in branding rather than network aside from the FOX affiliates. WIAT goes by "CBS 42" with the CBS O&O graphics, so will LIN change this overnight because in Birmingham the station is more synonymous with the existing branding rather than the WIAT call letters (which were WBMG until 1998).

Are you serious? Considering the implications that this deal has in terms of people potentially losing jobs/benefits and you are more worried about the station's branding being changed? The average viewer does not care about the branding of a station, they will either call it what ever comes to their mind, whether it be channel number or network affiliation. So no matter how many branding changes are made, people will not care. I think the average viewer would care more if the content or the personnel were affected as opposed to some silly graphics change. It is not surprising as to why people feel journalism is going down the toilet.

LIN isn't exactly a cheap and overly stingy broadcast group on the whole. Their staffs tend to be larger, their employees well-paid (even if they have been engaging in union busting over the last few years). Of all the companies that could have bought these stations, they sort of lucked out.

I'm not familiar Lin. What's their reputation?

This will be KOIN's 4th owner in 6 years. :/

LIN Media owns stations such as WISH-TV in Indianapolis, WAVY-TV in Norfolk, KXAN-TV in Austin, WPRI-TV in Providence, and KRQE-TV in Albuquerque.

http://www.linmedia.com/our-brands/network-coverage/

The New Vision properties should be just fine.

I wonder with the new acquistion if this will finally force them to give up the 24% of KNSD and KXAS

Very doubtful. Since it's only a minority stake in both tv stations, I don't think (at least) that it has any bearing with this deal, plus LIN is not at the ownership cap, right? Although for all intents and purposes both stations are run as NBC O&O's so there won't be any difference in how the stations are run, with the exception of getting rid of the "Station Venture Operations, inc." tag.

Are you serious? Considering the implications that this deal has in terms of people potentially losing jobs/benefits and you are more worried about the station's branding being changed? The average viewer does not care about the branding of a station, they will either call it what ever comes to their mind, whether it be channel number or network affiliation. So no matter how many branding changes are made, people will not care. I think the average viewer would care more if the content or the personnel were affected as opposed to some silly graphics change. It is not surprising as to why people feel journalism is going down the toilet.

Actually, I'm quite serious. For your information, American journal has been in the sh*t hole because they are too busy playing the game "wag the dog". If you are looking for real journalism then you are SOL on that sense because you are more likely to see it occur in Canada, the UK, or some other westernized nation. So if I feel to ask this question, this is the site to do that. If you want to talk about journalism then you might be barking up the wrong tree on this site...

Archived