WITI updating newsroom

Weeters

Probably not going to be too exciting, since I think LocalTV is updating a couple of it's station's newsrooms, but it would be nice if this is being done in anticipation of a new set.

A few days ago they moved everyone out of the newsroom and into the building's atrium:

AuznMtXCEAAJwPa.jpg

Now work can begin in the newsroom, which looks pretty strange without anything on anyone's desk.

newsroom-makeover-008.jpg?w=560

The newsroom hasn't seen many updates in decades... The assignment desk area in the back of the picture was obviously built around the same time their set went up in 1998, and was only updated a few years ago with three LCD monitors (with poorly looped animations playing on them) replacing some ancient, faded lightboxes. I have a screenshot somewhere of this area in the early 90's with a large "TV 6 NEWS" logo in the space.

From videos posted online, this is probably going to be only the second or third major newsroom renovation since the WITI building was built in the late 60's. At some point, the windows were added, going off of

from the 70's. The reporter's desks (on the right side, the larger cubicles are producers) look like they could date from the 80's as well.

Technology is probably driving the renovation, another picture shows that much of the newsroom's IT infrastructure has actually been wired into an equipment rack in the newsroom itself, which not only looks ugly, but takes up space and generates heat.

There's more pics on their website and they say they'll post more as the renovation progresses.

^^

It's the same company who did WFXT's and KDVR's sets. I can't remember the name but I'm pretty sure they're based in New Hampshire. The problem is KDVR's newsroom isn't nearly as big, so the illusion of it being in this gigantic Sky News-type space is ruined. The single anchor shots in front of the control room are okay, but pretty much every part of KDVR's set, from the unlit office spaces on the side to the odd looking polka dot walls, doesn't appear well on television. And the actual studio space in that building, which literally has different sets running into each other, is a different story...

Looking at one of the photos on FOX6's website, I noticed that on one wall of the atrium, it looks like they have a large "50 Years and Counting" mural, one that dates back to 2006. Even more embarrassing, that mural contains a very prominent "myfoxmilwaukee.com" logo right in the center. They haven't used or even OWNED that domain name for several years now.

Hopefully as soon as they're done with the newsroom, they send someone out to update the atrium as well. (And hopefully they don't take a live shot from the atrium newsroom that happens to catch that...)

I don't know if it'll be a studio or not but I wouldn't count on that set lasting very much longer.

I will email someone at KDVR and ask how many studios they have. And I hope they change it soon. This is a leftover from Dennis Leonard.

KDVR's set looks kind of like WFXTs (which has aged pretty well for not being updated since 2004)

Kind of? Even the light implant in the floor looks identical! Fox and Local TV were in cahoots.

I am interested to see what WITI comes up with for a building that old. It'll be interesting.

It will be interesting to see what WITI does with their studio space.

I doubt they'll do anything. They've had the same set since '98/'99 and the last "major renovation" was some rope lights, painting the floor, and a new desk (new duratrans last year don't count). Plus the fact that management there is in love with everything they're doing makes me think the horribly outdated set isn't going anywhere.

I wouldn't bank on the newsroom being any sort of set. Look at the table on the lower left hand corner of photo 006. It looks like all they're doing is taking out all those massive cubicle units and replacing them with "pods." The piece of paper directly next to the phone looks like it's a 3D drawing of one of the pods.

They've hung a sheet in front of the assignment desk and the flashcam and desk are untouched. In fact, the assignment desk is still being used, though they seem to have removed the weird, poorly lit "trusses" on either side of the monitors.

Interestingly, they've also ripped all the lights out of the ceiling. And there seems to be an uncovered old 60's built-into-the-wall-clock.

But the covering of the assignment desk and the flashcam not being moved pretty much means this is a "new carpet and desks" thing. Not much more to see, I guess.

They've hung a sheet in front of the assignment desk and the flashcam and desk are untouched. In fact, the assignment desk is still being used, though they seem to have removed the weird, poorly lit "trusses" on either side of the monitors.

Interestingly, they've also ripped all the lights out of the ceiling. And there seems to be an uncovered old 60's built-into-the-wall-clock.

But the covering of the assignment desk and the flashcam not being moved pretty much means this is a "new carpet and desks" thing. Not much more to see, I guess.

If you look very closely at the pic I linked to above, the fluorescent orange outlines on the floor match up with one of the drawings on the table. So, yeah, just replacing cubicles with pods. *yawn*

Archived