Image News on WSOC

devswartz

Nope, that's not a resynch request. I heard it with my own ears during the 5:00 and 6:00 newscasts today. WSOC has used its custom music Bold Branding News since 1996--and, for the last few years, WSB's News 2000 as a utility player--so Image News definitely caught me off-guard.

As I don't have a capture device, I'll describe what I saw. There were no graphic changes whatsoever. The open used the same Bold Branding News cue with the trademark drone. The bumper cue was the high-intensity promo cut from the original Image News series. (Example below.)

[yt]cPc7zeR3DS0[/yt]

The close was the softer WCVB close circa 2002. (Sorry--couldn't find an example online.)

I hope this is just a tryout and not the beginning of a major change. I love WSOC's current music. It makes them very easy to identify, and that's the whole point of a jingle. If you've never heard the close, you definitely should. It's below..though it was recorded VERY loud.

[yt]ggCCDQ1Ck5I[/yt]

Also, I'm kinda confused over why they'd even consider a change. They're a comfortable number one in viewers in every newscast except 11 p.m., when WBTV wins in viewers--and even then it's not a runaway. So either WSOC really wants to win the 11, or the demo numbers tell a very different story from the overall.

Archived