Stations Competing Against Pushed-Back NBC affiliate newscasts?

Jess

This is a really smart idea. How is this "wasting" anybody's time?

So after watching the Olympics at 12am/11 C, why do I want to watch a "96 Quarter Hour News Leak" (no offense to KCRG, KFDX, WISH, and WOOD) on another station where I can watch a full, complete, and detailed newscast after the games. I call this running up the score.

Anyway, here's WPVI's "Action News Update"

So after watching the Olympics at 12am/11 C, why do I want to watch a "96 Quarter Hour News Leak" (no offense to KCRG, KFDX, WISH, and WOOD) on another station where I can watch a full, complete, and detailed newscast after the games. I call this running up the score.

You're only keeping staff around for an extra half-hour. You're promoting the show well, On-Air and Online. At Midnight, people may not want an entire half-hour of news. There is probably a high turn-over rate after the last Olympic event, so WPVI (and other ABC O&Os) are taking advantage of that. Even if it's not a success, it's only a few minutes of "wasted" time for a little over 2 weeks. I don't see why people are making a big deal of this, ABC is just seeing a possible opportunity to get some numbers in Late Night...plus, who cares it's "running up the score?" They're the competition, and you're going to try and make them know that as often as you can.

Don't you think ABC realizes that NBC is extending their primetime coverage by 5 minutes, so they can drown out ABC's "Olympics Edition" newscast?

I think it is quite smart by the peacock network. What is ABC O&O stations going to do? Extend the newscast by 10 minutes instead of 5?

Don't you think ABC realizes that NBC is extending their primetime coverage by 5 minutes, so they can drown out ABC's "Olympics Edition" newscast?

I think it is quite smart by the peacock network. What is ABC O&O stations going to do? Extend the newscast by 10 minutes instead of 5?

You know I've noticed this myself...I kept wondering why their coverage was starting to overrun, because I thought there was no real point in why it should, nor did I understand why there should even BE an overrun, but nowt hat you said that, it makes perfectly good sense. Hell...I know that I'VE stayed around to watch MY newscast on my NBC affiliate! So I guess it works...at least with me.

Also, as one person said above about how this is NOT a stupid idea, I think that ABC's overall logic was that people will be tired by this point in time and won't want to stay up for an extra half hour to watch the news, so they'll switch to the competitor to get it all in 6 to 7 minutes; essentially the first third or fourth of a normal newscast.

Either way...it still seems incredibly silly though, at least to me. But I will say this, in my market apparently, despite having a massive lead-in from the Olympics which is helping the NBC affiliate stay number one sign on to sign off, the ABC affiliate is holding out quite well, actually managing to be second in the evening newscasts by only a point or so; so perhaps this is/was another part of ABC's logic: "Our affiliates are already strong in their respected markets and seem to be holding out well now that the Games are on, I bet we could make this work."

According to the program guide, the weekend WLS late news is just a continuous newscast from 10PM - 11:07PM. There's supposedly no closing at 10:59PM to start a new newscast at 11PM. Is it the same elsewhere?

Not here in Philly. They actually run the close for the 11pm newscast, and then come right back with the Update.

Regardless of the reason NBC is overrunning, one station ain't happy:

Well First Coast News does have some reason to be pissy. Its because I think there situation is that they have to produce a 11 PM newscast for WJXX and a olympic newscast for NBC-12. So with them I do understand

Archived