KRON gets new website, launches cable news channel

T.L. Hughes

San Francisco MyNetworkTV affiliate KRON-TV has redesigned its website (I discovered this while watching the Sunday morning newscast online, and clicked a link on the website's old live stream page that I bookmarked a while ago). The redesigned page is linked at www.new.kron4.com, rather than www.kron4.com. The old website design was rather mediocre IMO, especially for 2012, this new one, I'm not sure what to make of it.

It's a bit of a step up from the old site, although there are a few quibbles: first the navigation section is placed below and overlayed on the headlines section instead of above it (the number of navigation tabs are reduced from 10 to only four and features news, weather, traffic and live news stream tabs, as well as a tab for a "Deal Market" section on the below navbar). Also, even though the station still has a sports department (what with Gary Radnich still there, and the station looking for a sports multimedia journalist according to their station jobs section), there remains no trace of a sports section, other than a video link that can only be accessed on the bottom of the page to videos of Radnich's sports segments. The top of the page looks rather bare outside the placement of the KRON 4 logo and the conspicuous addition of the letters "T" and "A" to its left (not joking here, that's actually next to the logo, and it doesn't even link to anything). A latest headlines bar is placed at the middle of the page below the headline screenshot and news feed section, rather than above it as well. This site is designed by a company called Wix, which provides free website designs; it doesn't look like what you would expect from a site made on the cheap (the old site did though), but there still room for improvement.

The new news stream section now features two live streams: one for newscasts and other KRON-produced local programming as seen on the old site, and a second that leads to the next new thing about KRON, the station is launching a 24-hour local news channel called the KRON 4 24/7 Bay Area News Channel to be available on Comcast in the Bay Area (though apparently not on a digital subchannel of KRON) and streaming online, placed on the same page as the newscast stream. The few minutes I saw of it, the channel features only an L-bar with the time and date, channel ID, promotions for newscasts and syndicated programming on KRON, current conditions and 7-day forecasts for Bay Area cities and a news ticker (which currently only features a repeating message of the channel's pending launch). Feeds of traffic cameras are also shown, set to a cut of music from the "KRON Instant Classics" theme.

It looks.... unfinished? A work in progress?

Quite frankly, it looks like something that came out of a college web design class.

Didn't Young have a deal with WorldNow or is that only for the Young/Gray stations?

Maybe Young's trying to ignore KRON, causing station management to do the website themselves.

Sadly KRON still exists as the skeleton in the closet.

Since living here for a year now, I honestly forget that they're a news option. I'm surprised they haven't either folded or repositioned themselves as something other than what they were twelve years ago.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived